Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SkidRow engine/tranny skid. Oil change question.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SkidRow engine/tranny skid. Oil change question.

Does anyone have the SkidRow engine/tranny skid? I just tried to do an oil change and I guess they didn't account for trajectory, so, the oil just jumped right out of the pan and onto the skid. Slid down the skid, and drained on my driveway from every orifice possible.

So...

I was wondering if anyone has this skid, if this happened to them, and what you did to correct it.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

its tricky after a couple of oil changes i can now change the oil without spilling anything on the skidrow plate

i use a plastic oil pourer(triangular cylindrical thingie) that i wedge in the hole on the skidplate, and remove the oil pan bolt from the side, so its pretty clean
Old 05-13-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just cut a plastic pop bottle in half and use it for a oil splash shield to direct the oil into the pan.
I hold it in place with one hand, then take my other hand up and over the skid to remove the plug, the oil shoots out and hits he pop bottle shield and gets directed down into the oil pan. After a couple quarts shoot out, the oil doesnt shoot as far and you can lower/remove the shield
Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Hilarious that we have to do this for an oil change.

Oh well.

The price for protection I guess...
Old 05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try pulling the front end on ramps or jacking it up to direct the oil toward the rear. Or better yet......if you're not lazy, jus tremove the plate and replace it when you're done. From their web site, it doesn't look hard.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 05-13-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Try pulling the front end on ramps or jacking it up to direct the oil toward the rear.
The problem is the oil shoots out too far and passes up the hole in the skid plate, hence the need for a splash/trajectory shield
Old 05-13-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Try pulling the front end on ramps or jacking it up to direct the oil toward the rear. Or better yet......if you're not lazy, jus tremove the plate and replace it when you're done. From their web site, it doesn't look hard.
I did have it on ramps, overshot by a few inches.

It's not about being lazy. If you're going to R&D on a product, do it right the first time. Why must the owner have to hassle a 50lb. skid every time they do an oil change? Imagine going from a 15 minute job to an hour and a half job. Having to balance the skid on a jack, wiggle it into place, having to slide the skid ABOVE the factory transfer case skid, having to thread a nut in a hard to reach place above the crossmember as one of it's mounting points.

Why? That's just plain dumb and retarded.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want to get that skid plate and my idea for a fix was to install one of them oil drain valves. i don't have one now because without a skid there is a good chance of snapping it on a rock and i'll have a real problem. with the skid plate there, no worries and it'll make it easy to drain.

i think the messy part of changing the oil is the filter. i'd love to find a relocation kit.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I did have it on ramps, overshot by a few inches.

It's not about being lazy. If you're going to R&D on a product, do it right the first time. Why must the owner have to hassle a 50lb. skid every time they do an oil change? Imagine going from a 15 minute job to an hour and a half job. Having to balance the skid on a jack, wiggle it into place, having to slide the skid ABOVE the factory transfer case skid, having to thread a nut in a hard to reach place above the crossmember as one of it's mounting points.

Why? That's just plain dumb and retarded.
I was kiddin about the lazy part.....and I agree like THREE MILLION PERCENT about your R&D comment. Stuff like this really pisses me off. These companies are ROBBING people like you and me with PISS POOR workmanship and R&D. I'm glad you posted this, cause I know to steer clear of Skid Row. I already knew it though, cause somebody else was unhappy with something they made on here too. How much of the skid would have to be cut to get the hole the right size?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Had the same problem in my garage. What a mess! The drain valve is my next step. I believe Fram has one for around $15 bucks. I have been been using a cheap aluminum pie pan shaped around the opening to deflect the oil. It helps a great deal to if the Jeep hasn't been driven for half a day. The oil doens't shoot as far when its cold.

Quick Reply: SkidRow engine/tranny skid. Oil change question.