Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

skid plates... need opinions.....

Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

that's about what my gas tank skid looks like. when i was installing the FT long arm kit, we had to drop the gas tank and so i used the opportunity to give things a good look. sure enough, the actual fuel cell was just fine.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
for reference, these are the kinds of places i wheel....

and, i'm super comfortable with the protection i have with my factory skids. certainly, they didn't cost me a dime more to have and they have yet to let me down.
Eddie, I thought you guys did hard core stuff? Was this a green trail?

Nice pics! Wife and I are hoping one day to head out that way
Old 12-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i were you, i'd save your money and invest it in mods that you really need. the stock skids are more than adequate and you have a benchmark oil pan so you're good there. trust me, i hammer on my jeeps and still trust in my factory skids. but, it's your money and you can spend it however you see fit
I agree.

I have the full set of RockHards on mine, but I added them because i was getting small logs and such jabbed up into my suspension because i wheeled it where there where a lot of treetops from a logging operation, so for me and my circumstances THEN it was the best option IMO to have them there to deflect the things and they functioned wonderfully for that purpose. Before adding them it sucked going forward 5 ft to back up 4ft to haul a log out from the top of the crossmember.

I only have one good scrape on them from a rock, and it isnt anything the stock tank skid couldnt have easily handled.

However now that i am NOT wheeling like that (the land i was able to wheel on was sold) it is a TON of extra weight to haul around that isnt really needed if your careful with your lines. The peace of mind for me is good to have, but i no longer truly need them. Now they are just sucking down my lift height, and gas milage.

Just my 2c.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I agree.

I have the full set of RockHards on mine, but I added them because i was getting small logs and such jabbed up into my suspension because i wheeled it where there where a lot of treetops from a logging operation, so for me and my circumstances THEN it was the best option IMO to have them there to deflect the things and they functioned wonderfully for that purpose. Before adding them it sucked going forward 5 ft to back up 4ft to haul a log out from the top of the crossmember.

I only have one good scrape on them from a rock, and it isnt anything the stock tank skid couldnt have easily handled.

However now that i am NOT wheeling like that (the land i was able to wheel on was sold) it is a TON of extra weight to haul around that isnt really needed if your careful with your lines. The peace of mind for me is good to have, but i no longer truly need them. Now they are just sucking down my lift height, and gas milage.

Just my 2c.
X2 on the small logs...

Probably not necessary on the rocks but when wheeling in the woods, I'll take all the protection I can get. Especially if the extra weight is down low...

Remember this guy? Anything can happen.

Last edited by JoeBlob; 12-16-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i saw that post before.. thats one hell of a log!! and i bet his unborn saw life flash before them!! wow!!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I agree.

Just my 2c.

I have the full set as well because I thought I would eventually puncture my fuel tank well after seeing the pictures here on this post I can rest assured that I won't come close to doing that. so eventually I may end up with some skids for sell.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

for reference, these are the kinds of places i wheel....

and, i'm super comfortable with the protection i have with my factory skids. certainly, they didn't cost me a dime more to have and they have yet to let me down.
I love that most people assume because someone has a unique opinion on an upgrade that differs from theirs, that it MUST mean they dont wheel very hard. Love your response with photos that can not be denied

Quick Reply: skid plates... need opinions.....