Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

skid plates... need opinions.....

Old 12-15-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default skid plates... need opinions.....

so there are a few makers of skids for the jk.. i am not looking to do the whole thing. i want a gas tank skid and possibly a transfer case skid. the stock one is flimsy. got the benchmark pan on so no worries up there.. so which should i go with for gas tank???
Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
so there are a few makers of skids for the jk.. i am not looking to do the whole thing. i want a gas tank skid and possibly a transfer case skid. the stock one is flimsy. got the benchmark pan on so no worries up there.. so which should i go with for gas tank???
if i were you, i'd save your money and invest it in mods that you really need. the stock skids are more than adequate and you have a benchmark oil pan so you're good there. trust me, i hammer on my jeeps and still trust in my factory skids. but, it's your money and you can spend it however you see fit
Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi

that too much chaching.... i wonder if you can get just the gas tank skid.. prob is sometimes they bolt to one another to strengthen. i really just want the gas tank because ill be getting full traction long arm eventually which has replacement cross member. and new center skid too i believe. got to save $$$ for that one!!

Last edited by rinkishJK; 12-15-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if i were you, i'd save your money and invest it in mods that you really need. the stock skids are more than adequate and you have a benchmark oil pan so you're good there. trust me, i hammer on my jeeps and still trust in my factory skids. but, it's your money and you can spend it however you see fit
my prob is i went scratch painting today from the other day when i did my pan in and my gas tank skid looks like a bumpy road!! i dont want to pop it. was lookin for just a piggy back one. i dont think i need anymore skids i am just worried about that giant plastic tank under that flimsy skid.....
Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
my prob is i went scratch painting today from the other day when i did my pan in and my gas tank skid looks like a bumpy road!! i dont want to pop it. was lookin for just a piggy back one. i dont think i need anymore skids i am just worried about that giant plastic tank under that flimsy skid.....
trust me, it's a lot stronger than you think. if you've ever pulled out your fuel cell and looked at what the bottom inside of the skid looks like, you would know that there are cross members that lift up the cell. up front, the fuel cell actually steps up about 4"-6" and if the skid is all smashed up there like it is on everyones jk, i can assure you that the cell is just fine. do a search and i can assure you that you will not find a single instance where a gas tank skid has failed someone and left them high and dry.

back in the early tj days and earlier, the gas tank skids were not only flimsy, they had corners and sides that had the actual fuel cell exposed to rocks. this is the reason why manufacturers started to make real skids for them. by 2003, the tj's had much better skids and no longer needed a new aftermarket skid. unfortunately, the market for selling skids had been opened and now people just get them thinking that they are necessary.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
trust me, it's a lot stronger than you think. if you've ever pulled out your fuel cell and looked at what the bottom inside of the skid looks like, you would know that there are cross members that lift up the cell. up front, the fuel cell actually steps up about 4"-6" and if the skid is all smashed up there like it is on everyones jk, i can assure you that the cell is just fine. do a search and i can assure you that you will not find a single instance where a gas tank skid has failed someone and left them high and dry.

back in the early tj days and earlier, the gas tank skids were not only flimsy, they had corners and sides that had the actual fuel cell exposed to rocks. this is the reason why manufacturers started to make real skids for them. by 2003, the tj's had much better skids and no longer needed a new aftermarket skid. unfortunately, the market for selling skids had been opened and now people just get them thinking that they are necessary.
thanks WOL. i agree skids are a waste of money.. i would rather get control arms, or driveshafts, or chromo front shafts. the pan though i am VERY happy i got that. wish i didnt have to get it when i did but now i got some strong ins down there.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stock Gas tank skid....

In the last pic you can see the cross member keeping the skid from getting pushed any higher.....
Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Rock Hard skids (oil pa and tranny, transfercase, and gas tank) and have been very happy with them. WOL is correct that you may not need them, but that depends on where and how you wheel and what makes you comfortable. I personally like having the extra protection.

Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

for reference, these are the kinds of places i wheel....

and, i'm super comfortable with the protection i have with my factory skids. certainly, they didn't cost me a dime more to have and they have yet to let me down.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by chumpmann
My stock Gas tank skid....

is that the evap canister still under there?!?!!??!

In the last pic you can see the cross member keeping the skid from getting pushed any higher.....
holy cow chumpman.. i think ill be ok with mine considering what yours looks like!! wow. and WOL i seen alot of your videos. if you dont need skids for THAT... then i def dont need them.

Quick Reply: skid plates... need opinions.....