Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

skid plates, how to coat?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skid plates, how to coat?

Hey all, just wondering what your experiences are for coating your skid plates. I am looking at getting a full river raider system and not sure if I want to powercoat, paint or bedline the skids. Any suggestions or experiences would be apperciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
jdk
JK Freak

I have all of my rock pollished, kinda rough but easy to mantain.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

did River Raiders with 3 coats of bedliner, then a couple coats of flat black paint. Main reason I went extra coats in paint was to bring the texture down to prevent road salt from sticking to them and rusting out in the winter.

Last edited by WhiskyPirate; 07-14-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

My brake caliper pant looks new still after a year. I cleaned my RR skids real good then multpile coats.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Ummm.. rock polished and mud coated?

If for some reason I have a real anal moment maybe some rattle can in the color of your choice?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just re-rattle can flat black paint em after a hard weekend of 'rock polishing them' - you can see the outline of my sliders painted on a piece of cardboard in the garage.
You can always tell how much fun I had last weekend by the smell of paint in the garage the next week!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Regardless of what you use, it is going to get scratched. I would not recommend the powder coat. In my experience, once you scratch through the powder coat it will start rusting under the coating. It seems to trap the moisture. I was going to bedline my stock skids, but after the comment about it holding salt I have reconsidered. I think painting them is probably the best choice. I have been very happy with the wheel paint I used on my differential covers. they have taken a serious beating and don't have a mark on them.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run stock skids, except for evap and oil pan. I just rattle can my skids after each trip with rustoleum rust reformer, black paint. Works great and skids look great. Also stops rust, instead of covering it up!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, sounds like a simple rattle can paint job is the way to go! Gotta love this forum, you all Rock!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks guys

I've been putting off this purchase due to the added cost of the powder coat. I think I will clean them well and use some Hammerite or the like

Quick Reply: skid plates, how to coat?