Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which skids/covers to get first?
Oil Pan
64.52%
Transmission
19.35%
Transfer Case
6.45%
Front diff
32.26%
Rear diff
22.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Which skid plates first?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hneiper
So I am looking to get some upgrades. Already looking at adjustable LCAs. And now trying to decide what armor I need underneath first.

Also, what brands do you prefer? Rock hard, River Raider, ??
Do evap skid first!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

Do evap skid first!
Or relocate the evap...and buy another skid :O
Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho

My one and a half cent of knowledge...The Rancho Oil Pan Skid is a simple, no modification, add on for a small fee compared to the cost of puncturing an oil pan and running dry. The Evap skid is nice, but would not be my first choice since you can still drive the vehicle home if you damage it. As for the fuel tank skid, this issue has been covered at great length.....its a waste of time and money to do a gas tank skid. Look at the owner of this forum's JK "Moby" or Offroad Evolution's "EVO1" (before doing a race fuel cell in cargo area). These are two of the best examples of why the stock gas tank skid is more than enough. I have wheeled with both of these guys and it was more than proof I did not need to do the tank skid and have not needed one for the last 3.5 years of wheeling my JK on the hardest trails.

Good luck with your decision

Edit: As stated in a previous post, you can always relocate the Evap canister and save money!!

Last edited by GCM 2; 12-17-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're playing in rocks I'd definitely do the front diff skid first. I bang my diff, or balance the jeep on it almost every trip out.

My order was front/rear diffs, oilpan, then evap.

Quick Reply: Which skid plates first?