Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which skids/covers to get first?
Oil Pan
64.52%
Transmission
19.35%
Transfer Case
6.45%
Front diff
32.26%
Rear diff
22.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Which skid plates first?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which skid plates first?

So I am looking to get some upgrades. Already looking at adjustable LCAs. And now trying to decide what armor I need underneath first.

Also, what brands do you prefer? Rock hard, River Raider, ??

Last edited by hneiper; 12-15-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for DIY upgrades, LCA skids are easy and they beef up some vulnerable equipment. Diff covers are fairly easy, though not super cheap when you add in the cover and an oil change, maybe some lube lockers. Cheap factory covers are easy to damage and leave you stranded. actually hit my rear cover on a rock the first time I drove my new Jeep.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I barely ever hit my t-case skid, but I have mangled my 3/16 trans skid and both stock diff covers, so i voted for everything but the t-case skid.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the EVO protek system available for 12 and soon 11 and prior. Covers what u need (x-member, trans and oil pan) for less money and weight. I did the EVO skids and riddler diff covers. I've dented the stock gas tank skid but it pounds out well and the gas tank is plastic so I see no reason to upgrade it.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Maybe I should just go with a plain jane rancho oil pan skid. Seems everyone else wants to sell systems.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msquaredIN
Check out the EVO protek system available for 12 and soon 11 and prior. Covers what u need (x-member, trans and oil pan) for less money and weight. I did the EVO skids and riddler diff covers. I've dented the stock gas tank skid but it pounds out well and the gas tank is plastic so I see no reason to upgrade it.
Yeah the gas tank is plastic, but what about the fuel pump that resides in it. It is housed in a plastic cylinder that runs from the top of the tank to the bottom. My concern is damaging it if the dent is right where it sits in the tank. Its a plastic assembly that will not take much abuse. (I had to replace my fuel tank for another reason and thus had to transfer the pump assembly to the new tank.) Something to think about.............Maybe comments from the people who have bashed in the stock gas tank skid??
Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Evap armor is a mist
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mt shawn 37
Evap armor is a mist
Yeah that's what happens when you crush one....it mists all over the place. :roflmao:
Old 12-16-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Well looks like I'm kinda screwed on the diff covers coz looks like nothing compatible with the skyjacker lift with the bracket that connects to the diff
Old 12-16-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hneiper
Well looks like I'm kinda screwed on the diff covers coz looks like nothing compatible with the skyjacker lift with the bracket that connects to the diff
Wha? Pics please.

Quick Reply: Which skid plates first?