Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skid Plates

Old 05-17-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Skid Plates

So I just lifted my '12 JK and added a few other things to make it more trail worthy, and now I'm wondering what direction to go in for skid plates. Which do I get first, which brand, etc. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with EVO protek system. It seems to have one of the best coverages (oil trans and exhaust loop) for a good price.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Rock Hard oil pan and trans skid. It doesn't cover the exhaust loop but I liked how it installed.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends what type of wheeling you do. If you're in the rocks a lot, you want good protection. The EVO stuff works, except there is a design weakness on the crossmember part that I recommend welding a couple gussets in so it doesn't bend. Also for rocks you might consider an upgraded gas tank skid. I beat the crap out of my stocker and probably lost 5 gallons of tank capacity in the process.

If lots of rocks aren't you, then the stock gas tank skid is fine. Stock t-case skid is fine regardless. Mine never even had a dent.

If you want to spend the money, I think the best priced high end setup is the Artec system. Full system that includes their HD trans crossmember. $1500 shipped though northridge and it's aluminum. If you go a full steel system, it will add a ton of weight.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Evo Protek system and my buddy has it too. Neither one of us have any complaints.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my EVO system Although the tranmission plate was a PITA I still love it.

I need to get the gas tank skid as the oem transfercase I feel is good enough it is thicker than the rest of the Oem skid plates. I wanted the oil pan and transmission pan skids as I came down hard on a rock at big bear on my oil pan
Old 05-17-2015, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. Should I start with the evap skid plate? When we do wheel, it's nothing too crazy as it's my daily driver.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff815
Thanks for the info. Should I start with the evap skid plate? When we do wheel, it's nothing too crazy as it's my daily driver.

I started with the skid plates that would need me to call a tow truck so I went with oil and transmission pan skids Evap I have the relocation kit and still have not installed it. but that will let you still drive off where ever you are at.

I am not sure where your located and how much you will off road But Stock may be just fine for you if you do not get on rocks and boulders. evap sits pretty high up under the body but boulders tend to find a way up there. I would do gas tank first if your into light to moderate wheeling.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I wish I would have installed a gas tank skid on day one. I have a Rough Country gas tank skid and for the money it is well built made in the USA and tough. Also lower control arm skids are a great investment.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Makes sense - thanks again.

Quick Reply: Skid Plates