Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skid plates ???

Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running ASFIR4x4 Aluminum Skids under Dozercon. Light weight and very strong.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Factory Skids work ok. I would supplement with front and rear lower LCA skids, relocate the steering stabilizer. I've been planning on either relocating or adding a skid for the evap but so far its lasted through two years of some pretty rough trails without getting broken or torn off but Im sure its just a matter of time if I don't address it.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a full set of JCR skids and they work great. I highly recommend them.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tested a prototype skid plate from Magnum off road, it is the same model the Border Patrol uses on their Jeeps. It is aluminum, light weight, and the fit is very good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	295
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	505994   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	505995  
Old 10-18-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed the EVO skids on my 2013 JKU. Took about two hours. I picked the EVOs for two reasons. One, I was able to go down to Fullerton and pick them up (very nice people, BTW), saving on shipping and two, I was impressed by the step-by-step installation guide and review over at Project JK.

Since Project JK did their piece it appears that EVO has added vents (for lack of a better term) in the area around the crossover pipe, as you can see in the pics below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EVO 2.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	506019Click image for larger version

Name:	EVO 1.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	506020
Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the RockHard engine and tranny sidd, and that bad boy is MO TUFF lol. All the brands listed above will suit you just fine, it's now what looks the best and fits your price range. Good Luck and your mind is in the right place
Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

I agree on the gas skid, I've lost about 2-3 gallons of room in the tank from hitting that thing so hard, wished I had gotten one early on
Old 10-19-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
I have river Raider skids and love them . However be prepared for the sucky instructions and the insertion of the polyurethane gasket into the trans skid; lube it up!!! Lol. Also make sure you use sticky stuff to keep the inserts to the engine mounts secure when you mount up the oil skid up. If they fall out while lifting the skid up; you'll be cussing up a storm!

Thanks for the heads up. I figured it would be a fun time lol.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gieringer11
I have a 2012 four-door JK Rubicon that I'm going to be putting 35 on. Before I do any suspension work I want to get skid plates on the jeep. what's the best get plates to get?? I would rather be safe than sorry. I plan on relying on them what are the best ones out there guys?
You know at work I hit my head a lot when I have a hard hat on. I think the same is true of skid plates. Take the minimalist approach and only protect that that needs protection and you wont get hung up on skid plates all the time. I have the EVO oil pan skid and I welded skids on the front LCA brackets. I also have the EVO Rockstars, but more for moving stuff up and out of the way than a skid plate. Synergy makes some nice rear LCA skids if you keep the shocks in the stock location/height. The rear shock mounts are a rock magnet. I also recommend heavy duty differential covers, not just for damage but avoiding a deformation of the thin stock cover. If we snag it on something it might spring a leak.
My rock rails see frequent use.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bbrown626

You know at work I hit my head a lot when I have a hard hat on. I think the same is true of skid plates. Take the minimalist approach and only protect that that needs protection and you wont get hung up on skid plates all the time. I have the EVO oil pan skid and I welded skids on the front LCA brackets. I also have the EVO Rockstars, but more for moving stuff up and out of the way than a skid plate. Synergy makes some nice rear LCA skids if you keep the shocks in the stock location/height. The rear shock mounts are a rock magnet. I also recommend heavy duty differential covers, not just for damage but avoiding a deformation of the thin stock cover. If we snag it on something it might spring a leak.
My rock rails see frequent use.
Some good advice

I went with all three EVO skids in a package deal

When I check it on a lift the most hits seem to be transmission plate and then oil pan

With my new tires I hope to miss a lot more rocks!

Matthew

Quick Reply: Skid plates ???