Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skid plates ???

Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skid plates ???

I have a 2012 four-door JK Rubicon that I'm going to be putting 35 on. Before I do any suspension work I want to get skid plates on the jeep. what's the best get plates to get?? I would rather be safe than sorry. I plan on relying on them what are the best ones out there guys?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock skids are good. I do have a skid for my elec sway bar though from mopar.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock skids do a pretty good job and can take a beating. I haven't had the need for any thing additional. Depends what kind of trails you're really doing. I'd beef up the front axle with truss/ gussets before I'd worry about skids. My 2 cents
Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I picked up the Rock Hard 4x4 engine/tranny and transfer case skids from David at Northridge 4x4. Couldn't be happier with them or the price/service.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

It depends on how rough you are going to treat it, and how much you want to spend. The EVO system is what I have. Not a hard core system, but does a pretty good job for what I do. The price was right, installation was a little tricky compared to others though.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use skid row engine skid/trans skid. Rugged Ridge skid on the xhd bumper and I still have a few Evo skids I need welded on

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 10-16-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
I picked up the Rock Hard 4x4 engine/tranny and transfer case skids from David at Northridge 4x4. Couldn't be happier with them or the price/service.

I agree with TXJeepers...you have a skid for the transmission/transfer case. But in order to protect your engine/oil pan you need to replace it with an aftermarket system designed to protect the engine/oil pan as well the transmission/transfer case if you plan on off-roading in areas that will likely impact your engine/oil pan.

Last edited by TXROCK; 10-16-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

I really like the nemesis skid plates but the rock hard and the river raider look like they would do the same thing. As far as being hard on it when I'm out there is no turning back. Pure pressure with the boys will get you every time . I just figured if I spend a little money now it will save a lot of money in the future.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if money is no object I would suggest the rror skid plate system, it's costly but covers you from front to back and side to side!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gieringer11
I really like the nemesis skid plates but the rock hard and the river raider look like they would do the same thing. As far as being hard on it when I'm out there is no turning back. Pure pressure with the boys will get you every time . I just figured if I spend a little money now it will save a lot of money in the future.

Peer pressure on the trail invites Murphy into the equation and will get ya every time!! As far as the skid systems/manufacturers you mentioned, they are all reputable companies with proven durability of those skid systems by avid off-roaders across several JK/Jeep forums. Good luck deciding!

Last edited by TXROCK; 10-16-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Skid plates ???