Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skid Plates

Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 skid

Originally Posted by jeep-girl
Yeah, sounds about right. I think mine is 05/21/10. It doesn't matter because the factory skid plate will not fit if they give one to me now. The mounting points are totally different. The crossmember is also different.
I dunno what the build date for mine is (is it in the VIN?) but here is a bad phone pick of the skid.

Looks like a tranny skid to me. I don't have a prior year to compare it to. Reliability is important to me 'cause I wheel with the family and don't always have other Jeepers to go with. So I need to have the essentials well protected.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife

you don't need anything. the factory skids are more than adequate and, are what all my friends and i still run today. if anything, an oil pan skid like the kind rancho makes is all you might want to get but really, that's it. don't trust me on this, watch some of our videos to see what kind of trails we punish our jeeps on all the time.
Do you mean the plastic ones??? I was lifted 3" and have a new XHD front bumper ... I believe my front plate is now removed. So I need an aftermarket one now ??
Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

racin444: you can get a replacement crossmember from full traction that looks to be much beefier.

rmplstlskn: the skid in the right side of your photo is the transfercase skid which is connected to your cross member at the front and in the back runs from drivers side framerail to gas tank skid.

I know everyone has there own opinions on what to do with skid plates but personally, some of the trails i took my TJ on and now plan to take my rubi on, there are some obstacles that are just unavoidable. If you just go through mud, dont get em. If you are driving on boulder covered trails in your daily driver sometimes insurance is cheaper than repair bills and rental cars. In the end build your jeep for where you wanna go! Just my .02.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CnoteJK
rmplstlskn: the skid in the right side of your photo is the transfercase skid which is connected to your cross member at the front and in the back runs from drivers side framerail to gas tank skid.
You are right. I meant to say transfer case. I guess 2011s do have them.

Originally Posted by CnoteJK
I know everyone has there own opinions on what to do with skid plates but personally, some of the trails i took my TJ on and now plan to take my rubi on, there are some obstacles that are just unavoidable. If you just go through mud, dont get em. If you are driving on boulder covered trails in your daily driver sometimes insurance is cheaper than repair bills and rental cars. In the end build your jeep for where you wanna go! Just my .02.
I agree with taking care when driving but I am also with you here. Damage to the oil pan or transmission pan can be much worse than a scratched/dented rocker. I prefer to not be the guy with the busted Jeep holding everyone else up.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm getting whatever is available from skid row. After that i will need new diff covers or guards.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

skid row and rock hard are both very solid products (currently running a skid from each) and directions are straightforward.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skid Plates

I have a 2010 Rubi unlimited which comes stock with transfer case and gas tank skids (built may 2010).. they're ok stock but might need to be upgraded later. Personally, i found protecting the vitals is more important than anything else so i picked up a skid row engine/tranny skid, RC evap skid and diff guards. I'm sure they've saved me a repair bill or two since and are great products. I also got an XHD front bumper and added the matching front skid to that.
Good luck with your choices
Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

I have Rock Hard. pretty beefy- glad I have em- took some hard hits a few times. But heavy as lead.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

i'm also a huge fan of the expedition 1 rubi skid. allows you to chop the front cross member off, flip your e-disco, and increase clearance in the front.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOKOS
I have Rock Hard. pretty beefy- glad I have em- took some hard hits a few times. But heavy as lead.
X2 on the rock hard, if you can't drive over it with the rock hard you can winch through it.

Quick Reply: Skid Plates