Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which would you put on first?
engine/transmission skid plate
30.23%
front skid
8.53%
lower control arm skid
3.88%
evap canister skid
46.51%
oil pan skid
22.48%
gas tank skid
8.53%
rear slider skid
2.33%
steering/sway bar skid
5.43%
differential skid
13.95%
other
2.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Skid plate poll!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wiredawg_mg
Engine/Trany 1st. You loose all of your engine oil and you are either stuck or blown up. You need to protect in the order of what is the most costly 1st.
X2 i agree engine and tranny 1st
Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i don't know who's feeding you this BS but unless you're replacing the factory transmission cross member with one that sits higher and relocating your exhaust cross over up 1.5" and replacing your gas tank with one that is physically shorter, there is no way you are going to gain 1.5" of additional clearance.
Hey WOL, as I don't actually own it, I can't say first hand. I am just going by a review. So I guess I could be incorrect but it makes sense when I see it. Click image for larger version

Name:	stockvsrrskid.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	102337

The clearance gains are limited to the area where the stock skids were located

Last edited by Cameron1022; 11-14-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
Hey WOL, as I don't actually own it, I can't say first hand. I am just going by a review. So I guess I could be incorrect but it makes sense when I see it. Attachment 102337

The clearance gains are limited to the area where the stock skids were located
got it - the review is taking into account the thickness of the factory tranny skid and what you will have if you remove it or replace it with something thinner. for those with a 6-speed, this claim would not apply at all.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CerOf
I did evap. If you don't relocate, evap is the first.

Everything else is fairly well protected, also the evap, is CHEAP. Can be found for under $150.
I couldn't decide which "evap relocate or skid" to quote - there are many. But...

Do the evap first. In the grand scheme of things it usually wins the vote of "most likely to be damaged on the trail" award.

My 2 cents on the remaining:

engine/transmission skid plate: I see you have an automatic - you have at least some protection. Important, but can be done later.

front skid: you have an X. If you had a Rubi I'd suggest a front skid might help your sway bar disconnect. Not much for you to damage.

lower control arm skid: Unless you are really rockin' the rocks, this is important but way down the list. If you are wheeling in the rocks, there are other things to address first.

oil pan skid: I'm not a fan of a dedicated oil pan skid. An engine/transmission/oil pan skid like Rock Hard is better. Keeps the pan protected without putting stress on the engine mounts. Again - just my 2 cents. Important, but with an auto it probably can wait a bit.

gas tank skid: Why? The JK already comes with one. If you are going to bash the tank skid that hard and don't have other things protected, well, wrong priority.

rear slider skid: Not sure what you mean here, unless you are talking about protecting the stock muffler. Better yet - relocate it.

steering/sway bar skid: See "front skid".

differential skid: I've been wheeling for more years than I care to admit. I've seen many diff covers poked through, pealed back, and dented to the point of interference with the gears - including several of my own. This is #2 on my list of "need to do next".

other: Not a lot of "other" left!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

first of all thanks to everybody for their input
second to address some of the questions...I want to be able to wheel on rocks without worry of wrecking something important. I will not be lifting the jeep for at least two years bc It is used for the mail route and I can't reach the boxes if I raise it any higher. This will mean I'm going to hit some rocks. I am willing to spend money to accomplish my goal of being abe to wheel on rocks without stressing about it. Here is what I am working with (KEEP IN MIND this is a mail jeep primarily)2008 X Automatic 16x8 Black Rock Type D
265/75 Nitto Terra Grapplers Bumper Olympic 4x4 Products Single Hoop Tubular Bumper Armor Rugged Ridge Euro Tail Light Guards
Steel Rocker Panels Performance AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake
Flowmaster Super 44 Off Road Exhaust
Optima 12 Volt Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery Lights Hella 500 Driving Lamp's on Olympic 4x4 Windshield Mounts Accessories Bestop Safari Header Top
Olympic Safari Mirrors
Smittybilt G.E.A.R Tailgate Cover
Old 11-14-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't all JK's come with some skid plates like gas tank skid?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Serg5000
Don't all JK's come with some skid plates like gas tank skid?
yes they all come with some.....
Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default skids

I have the off road evolution long arm and coil overs and you cannot use the stock trans skid. There is no skid that can be used without modifing them. Mel recommended using the rock clawer trans pan and the rancho oil pan skid. His reasoning is that the trans will run cooler with the extra fluid and also with the oil and trans pan you will probably not know if you are leaking oil or tans fluid. I talked with rock clawer and was told they have not have one of their trans pan crack they are wranttyed for life.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an evaporator skid one week after I bought the jeep and haven’t bought any other skids since.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 08JKRHD
I want to be able to wheel on rocks without worry of wrecking something important. I will not be lifting the jeep for at least two years bc It is used for the mail route and I can't reach the boxes if I raise it any higher. This will mean I'm going to hit some rocks. I am willing to spend money to accomplish my goal of being abe to wheel on rocks without stressing about it.
and, as mentioned, with the exception of your oil pan, your jeep already comes fully equipped with skid plates and ones that work well. you have nothing to worry about and will not wreck anything important. in the past 4 years, i have wheeled both my JK's very hard at ALL stages of lift/tire configurations and with the exception of a small rancho oil skid on my white JK and a benchmark replacement on my orange JK, i DO NOT have any aftermarket skids.

BTW, these are the kind of rocks i play on WITH stock skids....

there was a big discussion about all this a while back and you can read about it here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...e-a-must/page9

Last edited by wayoflife; 11-14-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Skid plate poll!