Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which would you put on first?
engine/transmission skid plate
30.23%
front skid
8.53%
lower control arm skid
3.88%
evap canister skid
46.51%
oil pan skid
22.48%
gas tank skid
8.53%
rear slider skid
2.33%
steering/sway bar skid
5.43%
differential skid
13.95%
other
2.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Skid plate poll!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skid plate poll!

Which skid plate would you put on first?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

i went with the engine/tranny skid only because i would rather see the evap relocated rather than skidded. imo, the evap should be addressed first regardless of what you do with it
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's wise to see armor for your Jeep as a full package - not just skids that go underneath, but include upgraded bumpers, tube fenders, rock rails, and diff covers in the equation.

Since I already had the stock Rubi rocker guards, I did a front bumper with a "chin" or front skid to cover the sway bar disco before I did anything else. Then I did diff covers. Then I did an evap skid. Next up will be a new rear bumper. Then I'll up-armor the side with tube fenders and upgraded rock sliders. Then an oil pan skid.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by w squared
I think it's wise to see armor for your Jeep as a full package - not just skids that go underneath, but include upgraded bumpers, tube fenders, rock rails, and diff covers in the equation.

Since I already had the stock Rubi rocker guards, I did a front bumper with a "chin" or front skid to cover the sway bar disco before I did anything else. Then I did diff covers. Then I did an evap skid. Next up will be a new rear bumper. Then I'll up-armor the side with tube fenders and upgraded rock sliders. Then an oil pan skid.
got a bumper and rocker panels was looking to prioritize skids specifically. Thanks for the input
Old 11-14-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd do a benchmark oil pan. I wouldn't call tube fenders armor as they will actually cause more damage then the factory fenders if you hit them on trees or rocks.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I get the money for skids I am going to do a package set from River Raider. Their complete sets looks amazing and is $100 off this month, I believe $750. That is for bare metal and powdercoating is an additional fee. Then I will probably do differential covers and maybe control arm skids too.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted Engine/Transmission skid first. I think the engine and oil pan area is crucial to protect overall. I like the Rock Hard 4x4 unit and the Skid Row is probably the most economical, at around 300 I think. . . .

that evap canister can just be relocated, screw paying a bill for a skid when moving it costs a few dollars.

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

The River Raider skids also give something like 1.5" of additional clearance over stock skids, avoid the "tearing driveshaft boot when lifting" problem, and also are compatible with long arm kits.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbourone
I wouldn't call tube fenders armor as they will actually cause more damage then the factory fenders if you hit them on trees or rocks.
That depends on how they're built and how they're anchored
Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
The River Raider skids also give something like 1.5" of additional clearance over stock skids, avoid the "tearing driveshaft boot when lifting" problem, and also are compatible with long arm kits.
the river raider system does sound great! do you know anybody who has it?

Quick Reply: Skid plate poll!