Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To skid or not to skid

Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with planman. I have moved my evap (woods relocation) and added the Rancho oil pan skid.

After 3 years of wheeling I probably need to replace my cross member as it's taken quite a few shots. I have hit the oil pan skid a few times and the peace of mind it provides was worth it to me.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Have been looking at skid plates for my rig. My neighbor owns Nisstec and insists I should get skids. His are pretty beat up, and I have gone out with him. Here is the dilemma, sort of. The ball driver, aka, boss, aka wife, just doesn't get the motorized toy thing. With that said, she doesn't care about my ordering parts, but I still hear about it. You know, the nagging little comments. Anyway, I'm thinking, hell with it, crack the oil pan? upgrade. Break an axle? Upgrade, crack the tranny? Upgrade. Thoughts? This has worked on my quads and land rover. I'm thinking of staying he course.
I don't know what to say, my wife and I have both separate funds and a house account...

i.e. fog lights I pay for.

skid plates were an easy sell, house account.

i just had to describe the aftermath of hitting a big rock on the oil pan and she said house account.

just try to get her to see the difference between add-on and true protection...

my mechanics have told me a couple of times that my skid plates have definitely paid for themselves.

i got the EVO Protek set with the oil pan, transmission and the exhaust crossover.

mostly the dents have been the oil pan and some transmission.

I used to spend time trying to keep up with rigs with lockers and bigger tires, I just went from 33's to 37's and added ARB lockers.

hopefully this year of trail rides and Jamborees I will be going slower and smoother, vs using the skinny pedal to make up for the lack of lockers.

matthew
Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I don't know what to say, my wife and I have both separate funds and a house account... i.e. fog lights I pay for. skid plates were an easy sell, house account. i just had to describe the aftermath of hitting a big rock on the oil pan and she said house account. just try to get her to see the difference between add-on and true protection... my mechanics have told me a couple of times that my skid plates have definitely paid for themselves. i got the EVO Protek set with the oil pan, transmission and the exhaust crossover. mostly the dents have been the oil pan and some transmission. I used to spend time trying to keep up with rigs with lockers and bigger tires, I just went from 33's to 37's and added ARB lockers. hopefully this year of trail rides and Jamborees I will be going slower and smoother, vs using the skinny pedal to make up for the lack of lockers. matthew
dude, I justified to my wife in about 2 minutes why I should buy a .50 bmg. It isn't that hard. I embellished the ball driver thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4149309625.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	523024  
Old 08-13-2014, 02:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no skid armor = skid marks, in your pants, when you hear something you need being torn up by a boulder.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, I justified to my wife in about 2 minutes why I should buy a .50 bmg. It isn't that hard. I embellished the ball driver thing.
That gun gets an old school "****in-AAAA". Lol. Holy geez! How do you get that stuff approved by "the boss"? I convinced mine that I needed 6 $1000 rod a reel combos for fishing. But can't get a boat! I have a damn Lamborghini Gillardo....and NO BASS BOAT! I get the too many "toys" speech. Lol. Or the "not until you marry me and get me a new house" speech.

I'm awe struck!

Sorry to get way off topic. Bad ass gun though. I love the big sniper gun-punching through 1/2" steel plate stuff!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Collyn
That gun gets an old school "****in-AAAA". Lol. Holy geez! How do you get that stuff approved by "the boss"? I convinced mine that I needed 6 $1000 rod a reel combos for fishing. But can't get a boat! I have a damn Lamborghini Gillardo....and NO BASS BOAT! I get the too many "toys" speech. Lol. Or the "not until you marry me and get me a new house" speech. I'm awe struck! Sorry to get way off topic. Bad ass gun though. I love the big sniper gun-punching through 1/2" steel plate stuff!
Wait not married? I'd do what I want in that case. Lol.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

How the hell do you justify that. Lol. There is no reason other than just fun to have one of those. Don't get me wrong I'd take one too if my wife said ok. Lol.

Quick Reply: To skid or not to skid