Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To skid or not to skid

Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Get an engine skid and either skid or relocate the EVAP canister.

Run the stock transfer case and gas tank skids until you have bashed them in to the point they start to cause issues. Then, upgrade.
x2
I've had people jump up and down about not needing skids or EVAP relocation kits but live and learn. I busted my EVAP and busted the gas tank skid so bad that it made contact with my DS Adapter plates and worked like a machine lathe and tore up the plate leaving a trail of metal. I did invest in a Bench Mark Design heavy duty oil pan but not sure I would have go that route again I'd go with a skid there like Planman suggests.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by demtek9
...is never the question. Skid!

Do what planman says and get some LCA skids too. They are cheap and you'll wish you had.

Total cost on this route is a few hundred bucks.
ive never wished i had front control arm skids, rear i can completely agree though if they make such a beast. Easily can just take a small piece of 1/4 flat stock to prevent most issues in the rear.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maertz
ive never wished i had front control arm skids, rear i can completely agree though if they make such a beast. Easily can just take a small piece of 1/4 flat stock to prevent most issues in the rear.
I've used front and rear a lot here. Bent tab prompted me to skid them and I wish I had done it up front.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
i hear ya. However, I do my own work. Replacing these things is parts only.
That will help, but what about the time lost? The time, work and cost getting the Jeep home? The time working & down time on the Jeep?

It's your money, it's your time, it will be you stuck out someplace, it's up to you
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NMBruce
That will help, but what about the time lost? The time, work and cost getting the Jeep home? The time working & down time on the Jeep? It's your money, it's your time, it will be you stuck out someplace, it's up to you
for me, wrenching is a pure pleasure and mindless work that removes the world from my mind. I enjoy it, I get a sense of accomplishment out of it and, I'm always surprised at how many guys are purely amazed that I put on my own lift and everything else on the Jeep.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the few things I've done to my JK, I've done myself, too. I also intend on installing the lift myself. It seems pretty straight forward. I'd love to learn how to weld and build my own rock/safari doors. I have some friends that have MIG welders and I'm going to ask if I can borrow it sometime.

However, replacing a transfer case, transmission, differential, etc., is something I would need some help with. Still, I would love to learn how to do it.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
For the few things I've done to my JK, I've done myself, too. I also intend on installing the lift myself. It seems pretty straight forward. I'd love to learn how to weld and build my own rock/safari doors. I have some friends that have MIG welders and I'm going to ask if I can borrow it sometime. However, replacing a transfer case, transmission, differential, etc., is something I would need some help with. Still, I would love to learn how to do it.
its easy. I started by pulling things apart, noting the work, taking pics, looking up specs and reversing the order. Now, a nifty 20+ years later of this method! I am a genuine MacGyver. I can build anything. It helps that I am an engineer and design bionic prosthetic limbs. It also helps, that if I see something once, or read about it, it just sticks.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
for me, wrenching is a pure pleasure and mindless work that removes the world from my mind. I enjoy it, I get a sense of accomplishment out of it and, I'm always surprised at how many guys are purely amazed that I put on my own lift and everything else on the Jeep.
Very true, not to mention that it is nice to know how everything is put together and installed. Helps tremendously with repairs when you know how to install things or how things go together.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Very true, not to mention that it is nice to know how everything is put together and installed. Helps tremendously with repairs when you know how to install things or how things go together.
the flip side is that I'm an absolute prick for garages. They hate when you know more than they do and correct them on shit.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rough Country skids.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep-jk-armor-cad-complete.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	519745

I've installed the Evap skid, diffs, front sway. Pretty impressed with them still need to install cross member, control skids too.

Quick Reply: To skid or not to skid