Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To skid or not to skid

Old 12-23-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To skid or not to skid

Have been looking at skid plates for my rig. My neighbor owns Nisstec and insists I should get skids. His are pretty beat up, and I have gone out with him. Here is the dilemma, sort of. The ball driver, aka, boss, aka wife, just doesn't get the motorized toy thing. With that said, she doesn't care about my ordering parts, but I still hear about it. You know, the nagging little comments. Anyway, I'm thinking, hell with it, crack the oil pan? upgrade. Break an axle? Upgrade, crack the tranny? Upgrade. Thoughts? This has worked on my quads and land rover. I'm thinking of staying he course.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cancel your home owners insurance. House burns down? Upgrade.

Call a Jeep shop and ask them how much it costs to replace/repair a cracked transfer case, oil pan, transmission, eval canister, etc.

Compare that with the cost of the armor. It's cheap insurance.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Cancel your home owners insurance. House burns down? Upgrade. Call a Jeep shop and ask them how much it costs to replace/repair a cracked transfer case, oil pan, transmission, eval canister, etc. Compare that with the cost of the armor. It's cheap insurance.
i hear ya. However, I do my own work. Replacing these things is parts only.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order yourself a set of Clayton skids and HD cross member and call it done

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Cancel your home owners insurance. House burns down? Upgrade. Call a Jeep shop and ask them how much it costs to replace/repair a cracked transfer case, oil pan, transmission, eval canister, etc. Compare that with the cost of the armor. It's cheap insurance.
i should also mention, the painfully obvious. There is a huge difference between $500k and $1k.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get an engine skid and either skid or relocate the EVAP canister.

Run the stock transfer case and gas tank skids until you have bashed them in to the point they start to cause issues. Then, upgrade.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

"The ball driver, aka, boss, aka wife, just doesn't get the motorized toy thing."

mine has her own motorized toy get her one and maybe she'll let you buy the armor
Old 12-24-2013, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

...is never the question. Skid!

Do what planman says and get some LCA skids too. They are cheap and you'll wish you had.

Total cost on this route is a few hundred bucks.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
i hear ya. However, I do my own work. Replacing these things is parts only.
Lucky. I can do some things, but I don't have the equipment to do all that I would like. I love wrenching on cars, but with a single stall garage, it can be a challenge. Although the CFO doesn't completely understand it, she lets me get away with some things, even more when I beg.

I guess one option would be to wait for something to break and then when you replace it, just add the skid at the same time. She probably would never know the difference.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Get an engine skid and either skid or relocate the EVAP canister.

Run the stock transfer case and gas tank skids until you have bashed them in to the point they start to cause issues. Then, upgrade.
Originally Posted by demtek9
...is never the question. Skid!

Do what planman says and get some LCA skids too. They are cheap and you'll wish you had.

Total cost on this route is a few hundred bucks.
X3,,,
don't skid and crack oil pan, loose oil 30 miles from no where... leaves a big mess to clean up, then having to have a buddy tow you out then call tow truck to get towed to garage or home... pays for skids plus some...

Quick Reply: To skid or not to skid