Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skid/clearance

Old 07-15-2016, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skid/clearance

I have been doing a lot of wheeling the past few weeks and the underside of my 2013 2dr auto JK has taken a beating. My check engine light came on and its the code is for (P0461 - Fuel Level Sensor 1 Performance). So my stock gas tank skid is pushed in beyond repair. I have been researching the best option to replace it with and most just go over the stock skid. I don't think i can take it off and bend it back as bad as its bent I don't think I'll ever get it tt fit on again. Synergy makes a complete replacement one $600 and I'm leaning that way. I also need to replace the Trans-Mount Crossmember. I would like to gain any amount of clearance as possible. The only option I see for gaining clearance is through Genright by relocating the gas tank and using their: New hi-clearance GenRight Aluminum Transfer Case (or "Belly") skid plate for a Jeep Wrangler JK with a conventional aftermarket (lift kit) on it.
NOTE: It can not be used with the stock gas tank in the factory location.
It will increases your ground clearance by up to 1-1/2" inches by replacing the factory skid plate with a lower-profile and more heavy duty skid plate.)

It comes down to cost$$$ with Genright I'd have to move the gas tank $1700 skid $700 and move the exhaust...

Thoughts other options????????
Old 07-15-2016, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you looked at river raiders skid system. This is the one I will be looking to get. Offer Steel and aluminum options.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-465361445.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	652354

Stock skid
Old 07-15-2016, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rostr02
Have you looked at river raiders skid system. This is the one I will be looking to get. Offer Steel and aluminum options.
I have but I have also read a lot bad reviews on their skid system not holding up... I want something that can take a long day of pounding on the rocks.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:56 AM
Former Vendor

The Genright belly skid is misleading. You can't just buy it and bolt it on. Requires their custom crossmember and an Atlas transfer case, among other modifications. Last I knew, it was only sold if you buy their elite coilover system. We have a flat belly on our JK and I can tell you it is quite a bit of work and fabrication.

If you're having sensor issues in the tank, you may have damaged the actual tank itself to the point it needs to be replaced. The plastic will deform and once it does, it's pretty stuck.

A rear mount tank is definitely a solution. Downside is $$$. That and it's not compliant, so any state that checks that stuff won't let it pass. If you're handy with CAD, you can design your own tank and have it made for about 1/3 the cost of Genright. That's what we did.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I repair plastic fuel cells at work. If it is deformed it isn't bad to reshape it. I'd pull it and flush out the gas before heating it but it should be able to reshape it with a heat gun. We use a heat gun for reshaping them just get the area good and soft (soft not dripping) and use something to push it back in place and hold it while cools a little. Of course you'd hafta pull the tank to do it but you have to pull it to change it too.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4
The Genright belly skid is misleading. You can't just buy it and bolt it on. Requires their custom crossmember and an Atlas transfer case, among other modifications. Last I knew, it was only sold if you buy their elite coilover system. We have a flat belly on our JK and I can tell you it is quite a bit of work and fabrication.

If you're having sensor issues in the tank, you may have damaged the actual tank itself to the point it needs to be replaced. The plastic will deform and once it does, it's pretty stuck.

A rear mount tank is definitely a solution. Downside is $$$. That and it's not compliant, so any state that checks that stuff won't let it pass. If you're handy with CAD, you can design your own tank and have it made for about 1/3 the cost of Genright. That's what we did.
They have a new skid out its just a Transfer case skid but its suppose to gove 1.5" more clearance... but you still need to relocate the tank.

GenRight Jeep JK 07‑Up Transfer Case Skid 1/4" Aluminum w/o Stock Tank
$699.95

Quick Reply: Skid/clearance