Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which size Nitto?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you guys that have had good luck with them. That isn't the norm at all from what I've personally seen. Especially with the mud grapplers.

The odd thing is that they are owned by Toyo who makes great tires from what I've seen.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 AM
JK Freak

Since the sizes are basically almost the same, I would go with the D rated tire as a daily driver. You'll probably be a bit happier with the ride and off road will flex slightly better when aired down.

Sent from my Go Go Gadget handheld device.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had nothing but great experiences with Nitto's.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by liquidg
I have had nothing but great experiences with Nitto's.
Shh don't say that. Cause everyone has had great luck with then Cept for one guy doesn't mean they're good tires lol.. sorry had to do it lol
Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Nitto 315

I just got the 315 d rated Trail Grapplers. I was worried the 35 e rated would be too harsh. They are very wide tires, with 4 " Back Spacing on the wheels the tires are past the fender about 2 ". So far I like the 315 a lot.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountain
I just got the 315 d rated Trail Grapplers. I was worried the 35 e rated would be too harsh. They are very wide tires, with 4 " Back Spacing on the wheels the tires are past the fender about 2 ". So far I like the 315 a lot.
good move. I have the standard 35's, load range e and they are stiff. I will be getting the P metric equivalent load range d when I'm up for new.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running 325x65Rx18
Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

It seems most people get the 35" e rated. I'm sure they are great on rocks with the thick sidewalls. But kind of over kill for the light Jeep. My sons F350 has e rated Toyos and they are stiff even in that very heavy truck. Even aired down. Don't seem to flex much in the side wall of the tire. I like the feel of the 315's. Feels like the original BFG KM's that I had. But the Nitto tires are crazy wide.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bypass
People around me by the hundreds run them. Every oilfiled worm takes their first check and buys whatever 4x4 their credit will allow and they promptly gear it out with Rockstars and Nittos. I've seen them on jeeps used for crawling, street driving, mud riding, etc, etc, etc. The universally known worst issue with them is tread life. Their "cool" patterns and compounds do not lend themselves to a long, quiet, good wearing life. Buy what you want and learn the hard way. The only people that "love" them are people that don't know any better, or have just recently bought some and don't want to accept they made a bad choice.
Today I encountered some Douche weaving in and out traffic in a jacked up F150 and driving like some ricer from the Fast and Furious. I ended up next to him at the next light and sure enough, Rockstars and Nittos. I thought of what you said in this post and laughed a little to myself, and thought about how ironic it was to see that after this post.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bypass
People around me by the hundreds run them. Every oilfiled worm takes their first check and buys whatever 4x4 their credit will allow and they promptly gear it out with Rockstars and Nittos. I've seen them on jeeps used for crawling, street driving, mud riding, etc, etc, etc. The universally known worst issue with them is tread life. Their "cool" patterns and compounds do not lend themselves to a long, quiet, good wearing life. Buy what you want and learn the hard way. The only people that "love" them are people that don't know any better, or have just recently bought some and don't want to accept they made a bad choice.
Heyy now, dont hate!! I run 35" trail grapplers on rockstars, for a few simple reasons... A. I work for a tire company, and Nitto occasonally offers OUTSTANDING discounts to their vendors and their employees. I wont tell you how much i paid, but i will say it was less than $2000 CAD for all 5 with wheels brand new...
B.coming from someone who works with alot of big tires on alot of big trucks, these by far have least amount of balancing issues (i agree, your douche if you go to stupid big tires then complain about the ride)... Just 6oz of beads in each for me, and never had an issue.
C. Sure there are WAY better mud tires out there, but if this is your daily, they are a great compromise as far as drivability/offroad ability goes. Avoid them if mud is the only Wheeling you do. I get great mileage out of them all things considered, and road noise is minimal for such an aggressive tire. 4 years ago no one had heard of nitto... Now there one of the most popular brands going for a reason.
The compound is stiffer than most/all other brands, but that said i have probably 20k on mine with minimal wear.
As for the rockstars, they were the only wheel stocked with 3.5" backspacing, and i dont think they look too bad without center caps. Rather run them than spacers.

I love my trail grapplers, and i DO know better

Quick Reply: Which size Nitto?