Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Single or dual steering stabilizer ?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Single or dual steering stabilizer ?

Thinking about a dual but not sure if it's an overkill ? Got a 2010 JK unlimited sport.

Also, what's a decent brand that's not outrageous in price. Thanx in advance
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Thinking about a dual but not sure if it's an overkill ? Got a 2010 JK unlimited sport.

I have alot of vibration at times and mostly in my shifter. My tires are balanced and it didn't do this with the stock tires.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a topic that has been covered many times here on the forum. If your JK is set up properly, you don't even need a stabilizer. If you're getting vibration, it is usually caused by something imbalanced or improperly torqued. Check the Planman's post on Death Wobble and see about many of the things that can cause shaking and what can be done about that.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles

That being said, if you still want a stabilizer, a single is all you need. You can also pick up a relocation kit from Jeepswag.com to get it up and out of the way so it doesn't get bashed on the rocks.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

I had a dual stabilizer set up on my 09, but honestly did not see any difference in the steering or control over my OEM single one. I think they look cool, but as to performance, no difference.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Junkie

I notice more at higher speeds. Have not done any trailing yet, only some moderate mud.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have u washed your rig really well since the mud? Ive had a little wobble from mud being on my suspension and tires, and it went away after a really good wash...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

If you have a stock JK with stock wheels.....you wont need it. Spend the money on something else. Just my opinion
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Battlefrog

Usually the dual set up hangs lower than the original single setup, giving something new to damage on the trail.

That being said, the jeep is set up fine to run with a single unit, or even none at all as mentioned earlier. I run the stock one with 38" tires, and I don't even need it.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default my 2 cents...

depends how you want things to feel. I personally like a tighter feel to my steering. i have a 2.5" inch lift running 33" mud terrains. I ended up with a dual stabilizer and love the feel of it. to me it seems to make bump steering much more tolerable. Do you absolutely even need one? no... but i think of them more as a safety net for more serious things that can occur.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
Do you absolutely even need one? no... but i think of them more as a safety net for more serious things that can occur.
Usually when people try to get a new stabilizer (single or double) to compensate for other issues, all it does is masks a more important problem, not fix it. Those "serious things" need to be addressed themselves, not covered up.

Quick Reply: Single or dual steering stabilizer ?