Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Single Action Rear Bumper/Tire Carriers

Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cthulhucometh
good point.
I went with an LoD carrier and they offer it in linked or non linked. I went non linked for that reason. The extra three seconds of effort just isn't an issue for me. I do like the linked carriers, but in real world application, it just doesn't work for me.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rancho

What will the durability be of the hinge when you drag the passenger side corner down a rock???
Old 10-23-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I went with an LoD carrier and they offer it in linked or non linked. I went non linked for that reason. The extra three seconds of effort just isn't an issue for me. I do like the linked carriers, but in real world application, it just doesn't work for me.
Same thing here, also non linked for the same reason.
And by the way, over a year with my gen 3 LoD and the quality is superb.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

LoD non linked for the same reasons as above.
Awesome bumper/carrier. Over a year with it and no issues.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the event you offroad your jeep, worth considering the downside to linked carriers. Impact of anything hitting the tire is transferred into the tailgate. For some, no big deal. For me, my tailgate would look like wrinkled tin foil.
That's not actually true. With the Ace bumper and tire carrier, all of the weight is carried by the carrier and absolutely zero weight is on the tailgate. It's only linked by the joint that connects the carrier to the tailgate.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

I've had a lot of hard hits to my rear bumper but there's no way you can translate enough force for that little link to affect the tailgate.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
That's not actually true. With the Ace bumper and tire carrier, all of the weight is carried by the carrier and absolutely zero weight is on the tailgate. It's only linked by the joint that connects the carrier to the tailgate.
Not referring to the weight. If you back into a tree or hit a high approach climb and drag the tire, what absorbs the impact? It goes into the tailgate.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Not referring to the weight. If you back into a tree or hit a high approach climb and drag the tire, what absorbs the impact? It goes into the tailgate.
No it would still be the carrier which would translate into the bumper not the tailgate.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
No it would still be the carrier which would translate into the bumper not the tailgate.
Maybe ace is different. Most door linked have nothing that stops the carrier from swinging inward other than the tailgate.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 07 I had the linked Expedition One and it was very nice and it was also SILENT.

On my '10 I went a less expensive route with the Rugged Ridge and optional link. After 3 years of trying to silence the RR I finally gave up and removed the tire carrier from the bumper. I installed the TeraFlex tire carrier and use it with the RR bumper. I am now squeak and rattle free and couldn't be happier with my combination.

Quick Reply: Single Action Rear Bumper/Tire Carriers