Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Simple to difficult mod issues

Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple to difficult mod issues

okay, after I had a heck of a time with a "five minute" mod (Mirror relocation brackets) and heard that I'm not alone I thought....huh....let's find out what other nightmare stories we have here in our forum. From a simple sticker (one of mine got wrinkled) to a complete frame swap. Take a look at my thread to get an idea if you'd like..

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/mirror-relocation-brackets-help-needed-rugged-ridge-114853/

I'm sure we'd ALL benefit from hearing about others...um..."issues"..

Either a short bit or the whole story..

This outta be good........
Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to be having difficulties with my simple CB install at the moment. But that's because there is so much conflicting information from everyone here and from other forums. (I think I finally got it.)

What I find pretty frustrating is when someone does this sweet how to thread, but glance over some of the hard stuff with phrases like "remove this" or "once it's out of the way"

It's usually the removing or getting the thing out of the way that's the hard part.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I switched from the TF 2.5 BB to the spring lift after I added my winch because the stock springs sucked and still had sag. When I did it, I pulled everything out, including the 3/4" spacer I had stacked on top of the BB spacer. My wife asked if I was putting that back in, and I said no, I wouldn't need it with these new springs. Put it all together, sat it down, and it needed the 3/4 spacers So I took the front back apart, put them in, and all is well now.

Took me 40+ minutes helping a friend install his evap skid because one of the bolts cross threaded, so I had to take it all back apart, retap the hole on the Jeep, fix the bolt, then reassemble.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xerofall
I seem to be having difficulties with my simple CB install at the moment. But that's because there is so much conflicting information from everyone here and from other forums. (I think I finally got it.)

What I find pretty frustrating is when someone does this sweet how to thread, but glance over some of the hard stuff with phrases like "remove this" or "once it's out of the way"

It's usually the removing or getting the thing out of the way that's the hard part.
You dont turn wrenches for a living. lol. At BMW there are tons of repair instructions on things that say "with the engine removed for clarity" or "remove splash sheild" - "remove electric water pump"....really...thats it? lol

engine removed for clarity is the worst!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
You dont turn wrenches for a living. lol. At BMW there are tons of repair instructions on things that say "with the engine removed for clarity" or "remove splash sheild" - "remove electric water pump"....really...thats it? lol

engine removed for clarity is the worst!!!
Sounds like some of the originial RE lift instructions back int the early TJ days:

1. Raise vehicle
2. Remove suspension
3. Install new suspension
4. Lower vehicle
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

LMAO!! I LOVE IT!! MORE! MORE!

THANK GOD I'm not alone. Seriously... it can be REALLY freakin' frustrating to do something so "simple". I do wish this thread we're still in the modified thread...but...I'm glad to see the responses. It truly makes me want to continue to work on my own Jeep. I was starting to think everyone on here was either a mechanic or really rich. I HATE breaking stuff..my Jeep is a 2009, I've only had it since June and started thinking.....warranty....why am I doing this?.....How the "F" did someone else make this fit??

With hearing these things happen elsewhere.......priceless..

..oh..and it's freakin' hilarious...makes me wanna keep trying...

MORE PLEASE!!

"Sounds like some of the originial RE lift instructions back int the early TJ days:

1. Raise vehicle
2. Remove suspension
3. Install new suspension
4. Lower vehicle "

......right......

"with the engine removed for clarity"

"My wife asked if I was putting that back in, and I said no, I wouldn't need it with these new springs." That HAD to hurt....

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife bought me all the Rugged Ridge light covers for Christmas a few years back. The headlight rings went on easily. The front turn signal rings were easy.

But those damn small side marker lights!!! Those little bastards were impossible to remove. The instructions simply said, pop out the rivet... but it seemed to be in there tighter than a duck's arse.

Don't get me started on my hard top hoist.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by xerofall
Don't get me started on my hard top hoist.
Based on my expereince I'd love to hear this story...
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea... That Hardtop hois will get ya every time Heres my thread bout that one https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/can-you-beat-hardtop-install-my-time-108770/

Quick Reply: Simple to difficult mod issues