Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Simple AEV PROCAL question

Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Try 37 in see what happens..
if it's set for 37" it's off by almost 10mph at highway speeds...when set for 30" it's within 1-2 mph at highway speeds

the big question is if this going to freak out the Jeep's computer? The odometer is working just fine and I've got the manual so no shift points, but it just feels stupid having it set 7" smaller than the tires!

matthew
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Ok, I started from scratch, reset the Procal to make the Jeep settings factory... I set my ratio to 5:13 no problem. I started at 35" and worked my way down, it took me all the way down to a setting of 30" tire size, and even with that it was a couple of mph off, so the true number could be something like 29 1/2" etc. WTF, these are 37" MTR/K's, has anybody ever had to go this low for the speedometer to be close to accurate? Matthew Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
That is incorrect you must be setting the dip switched incorrectly
Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

To get an accurate tire diameter, stick a piece of chalk in the tread, and drive forward until the chalk leaves two marks.
Measure the distance between the marks; divide by 3.1416. That will be the tire diameter as the computer sees it.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Monte417
That is incorrect you must be setting the dip switched incorrectly
I wish it was that simple, I've replicated it three times now...

I'm only setting the dip switches wrong if the Procal reference card has errors in the shown settings

matthew
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
To get an accurate tire diameter, stick a piece of chalk in the tread, and drive forward until the chalk leaves two marks.
Measure the distance between the marks; divide by 3.1416. That will be the tire diameter as the computer sees it.
I will try that, but starting at 37" and cross referencing with a gps that has been double checked to make sure it's accurate, and reducing the size setting till the gps matches it be just as accurate or am I missing something simple??

your tech tips have always been dead on in the years I've been on here!

matthew
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I had to play with mine a good bit to get it on the money. When I adjusted down from a 35" every .25" or whatever it was, made a pretty good difference. It's still not dead on at every speed, but within 1mph at the worst
Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bombout800
I had to play with mine a good bit to get it on the money. When I adjusted down from a 35" every .25" or whatever it was, made a pretty good difference. It's still not dead on at every speed, but within 1mph at the worst
Normally I'd be doing that next, it's just the gap from 37" to 30" has me thinking that something's wrong somewhere...

matthew
Old 01-24-2014, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call AEV see if they can help, mabe someone on here can give you the position of there dip settings used for 37s. Worth a try...
Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5

Normally I'd be doing that next, it's just the gap from 37" to 30" has me thinking that something's wrong somewhere...

matthew
I agree. Five possibilities:

1. The Jeep software is messed up somewhere.

2. The Procal software is messed up somewhere.

3. The Jeep hardware is messed up somewhere.

4. The Procal hardware is messed up somewhere.

5. The settings you used are somehow incorrect.

I give 1 and 2 little chance of being a problem since your case seems to be the first time this has happened. Ditto for 3, but because presumably your Jeep speedo worked well before. As for 5, disprove it by having someone else re-do ALL of your settings. That leaves 4. Perhaps one of the dip switches is stuck in one position, so some functions work properly, others don't. Contact AEV.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

how about posting a photo of how your dip switches are positioned for comparison?

Quick Reply: Simple AEV PROCAL question