Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Simple AEV PROCAL question

Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon
If you are using it to adjust the idle for winching, then you leave it plugged in. In that case I roll the window down, and adjust with the dash dimmer through the window. I program my tire size, and TPMS then unplug it. If I have to take it to the dealer, I just restore it. Then put my settings back in when they are done.
Question, you make multiple setting changes while it's plugged in?

i always unplug it between changes...

matthew
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

One change or function at a time.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Twinkydog
One change or function at a time.
Thats how I do it...

also, in my experience, if your horn doesn't beep twice it means your change didn't take, and in my case it was a simple dip switch reversal.

matthew
Old 01-21-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Ok. So I tried tinkering with my AEV Procal programmer

I started with the suggested settings of 35.5"

It was off by just about 10 mph, according to my gps, off meaning the GPS said I was going 10 mph faster

I changed it to 35.75" and the change in mph was barely noticeable, so I changed it to 36.75 hoping for a more tangible result...

Then it went up to the GPS saying I was going almost 15 mph faster than the speedometer

So obviously my Jeep is heavier than thought and I need to start at like 35" or even 34.75" ?

I had read in multiple places that the MTR/K's were one of the tires that was closer to labeled height than the others?

I mean I love the ride on and of road, I just wanted to have a more accurate speedometer

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Ok. So I tried tinkering with my AEV Procal programmer

I started with the suggested settings of 35.5"

It was off by just about 10 mph, according to my gps, off meaning the GPS said I was going 10 mph faster

I changed it to 35.75" and the change in mph was barely noticeable, so I changed it to 36.75 hoping for a more tangible result...

Then it went up to the GPS saying I was going almost 15 mph faster than the speedometer

So obviously my Jeep is heavier than thought and I need to start at like 35" or even 34.75" ?

I had read in multiple places that the MTR/K's were one of the tires that was closer to labeled height than the others?

I mean I love the ride on and of road, I just wanted to have a more accurate speedometer

Matthew

measure from the center of the hub to the ground when parked on a flat level surface like a drive way or garage floor and X2 that will get you close. I have found that using a number slightly less then what you get will put you very close.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
measure from the center of the hub to the ground when parked on a flat level surface like a drive way or garage floor and X2 that will get you close. I have found that using a number slightly less then what you get will put you very close.
thanks for the advice, I measured it a couple of times and came up with somewhere around 35 1/4-35 3/4 inches

but when I started around the size the gps was way off

i know the gps is accurate based on using it our other vehicles...

i didnt initally setup the Procal, I had a shope swap out my factory d30 and d44 with Dynatrac pro rock d44 and d60, they programmed it for the 5:13 gearing and the 37's, but it kept bugging me that the speedometer was off by 5-7 mph

so that is how this whole mini project started.

there was one post from someone with the same tires at the same pressure as what I run, so his numbers were really close to my measurements, but as I said with today's first post it was way off from the GPS said.

I've had people give me the measuring tips earlier in this thread, I started there, and as I posted it wasn't even close to my setup.

i have heavy skid plates, heavy axles, heavy bumpers, winch and a five gallon gas jerry can mounted to my rear bumper/tire carrier, so I'm thinking I need to try going lower tomorrow till it matches the GPS

matthew
Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Ok, I started from scratch, reset the Procal to make the Jeep settings factory...

I set my ratio to 5:13 no problem.

I started at 35" and worked my way down, it took me all the way down to a setting of 30" tire size, and even with that it was a couple of mph off, so the true number could be something like 29 1/2" etc.

WTF, these are 37" MTR/K's, has anybody ever had to go this low for the speedometer to be close to accurate?

Matthew

Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Ok, I started from scratch, reset the Procal to make the Jeep settings factory...

I set my ratio to 5:13 no problem.

I started at 35" and worked my way down, it took me all the way down to a setting of 30" tire size, and even with that it was a couple of mph off, so the true number could be something like 29 1/2" etc.

WTF, these are 37" MTR/K's, has anybody ever had to go this low for the speedometer to be close to accurate?

Matthew

something is not right lol. I have had two procals and both made my speed/trip spot on.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try 37 in see what happens..
Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Try 37 in see what happens..
Yeah that's a pretty good idea...

now that I reset it, I mean how much smaller can a 37" tire actually get?

when I first got the 37's the shop programmed it for me, it was only off by 7-9 miles per hour at highway speeds...

matthew

Quick Reply: Simple AEV PROCAL question