Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: What do you think of this air intake?
Bad Idea and Ugly
90.91%
Bad Idea but not Ugly
1.01%
Good Idea and Ugly
4.04%
Good Idea and not Ugly
4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Is this a silly idea for a air intake or just ugly?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a silly idea for a air intake or just ugly?

Just thinking of an alternative to a snorkel on a budget, as I only have a petrol, and have no desire to be in water over my dashboard level I figure 3 or 4 inches higher than stock should do fine.
I am thinking of putting a scoop similar to the one shown bit probably wider, with a nice big generic oval paper element filter inside it but raised off the bonnet by half an inch of collar so water that does get in can drain out onto the bonnet and run a flexible hose straight to the inlet manifold.
I hope to gain a little more safety on water crossings, a pony or 2 by the bigger air cleaner filter and colder air ram effect and room to put a second battery where the air filter is.
I could also mount this backwards and get the high air pressure effect from the windscreen and increased water resistance.
Maybe there's good reasons why I haven't seen this done before?
Seen any better scoop candidates or should I fold one up out of Galv sheetmetal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonnet Scoop.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	17889

Last edited by Brisnut; 01-17-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its your Jeep. Double check, maybe you posted the wrong photo? you may have posted the one for a dragster on this forum by mistake?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

If you have it facing forward it will act as a funnel for water in a crossing instead of a snorkel. If you face it rearward it probably will not take advantage of the air pressure at the base of the windshield. If you want to do that look at the hoods on the 1969 camaros and 1970-1972 SS chevelles. They are the Cowl Induction hoods that are designed specifically for that. The intake is much lower and up against the windshield they were also wind tunnel tested and designed specifically with the aerodynamics of the vehicle in mind. Besides a decent snorkel costs alot less than a ruined hood.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dadgummit
If you have it facing forward it will act as a funnel for water in a crossing instead of a snorkel. If you face it rearward it probably will not take advantage of the air pressure at the base of the windshield. If you want to do that look at the hoods on the 1969 camaros and 1970-1972 SS chevelles. They are the Cowl Induction hoods that are designed specifically for that. The intake is much lower and up against the windshield they were also wind tunnel tested and designed specifically with the aerodynamics of the vehicle in mind. Besides a decent snorkel costs alot less than a ruined hood.
True, but cost of snorkel install =$800 AU, Cost of this idea, around $200AU, Maybe to fold something up from sheetmetal will look more Jeep like.
If water has reached the height of this, I'm in a lot more trouble than just water in the intake with all the electronics in the vehicle, but I guess facing backward would be safest because of entry angle into a creek.

Last edited by Brisnut; 01-17-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, how about you send me the cash for this, I'll FedEx it to you, and then you install it so i don't have to think there is a JK in Australia with a half-a-trash-can on the hood.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17100_10X_PG.htm
Old 01-17-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nukeman
Okay, how about you send me the cash for this, I'll FedEx it to you, and then you install it so i don't have to think there is a JK in Australia with a half-a-trash-can on the hood.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17100_10X_PG.htm
Lol, I looked at that, but by the time I convert US to AU, pay GST & import duty etc and ship it it's around $650 anyway
Concealing a aircleaner element on the bonnet and making it look good really would involve some fiberglassing I suspect, with the size of it in height a problem, if it also allowed hot air out of the engine bay it would be even better I guess.
I just thought there's a lot of realestate on the bonnet unused unless I put a hi-lift, shovel & pick on it. maybe I hide the intake under a 33" mud tyre

Last edited by Brisnut; 01-17-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talk to the guys at River Raider and see what they can do for you. They shipped my fenders up to Canada (yes I KNOW it's not near as far as Australia) for SUPER cheap, and they got them to me pretty quick once they finished their show Jeep - and they were a custom one-off.

Give them a call and talk to Kenny, maybe he can hook you up. Worth a shot for a real snorkel.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

heres what your looking for...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kensdone64.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	17892  
Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 AM
JK Jedi

I would do the real snorkle.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default nooooooooo

brisnut, from one fellow brisbanite to another I wouldnt do it, it doesn't look to good, you could head straight to bunnings for some down pipe, hose and clamps, and rig one up that way, that hood scoop will do exactly that scoop the water and dust up. Failing that I am sure there would be a snorkel second hand for sale in the trading post or at a wreckers that was off some other car that you could modify to fit, prado etc , or save for a new one.....Anything but that scoop, otherwise I might have to punt you off the road, ( just kidding ) good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Is this a silly idea for a air intake or just ugly?