Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

silent armor vs bfg mt

Old 08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REALJEEPFAN
I've had the BFG MT's on 2 different vehicles. In the rain and snow they are the worst tires I've ever driven on. I have the silent Armors now and they are way better. I just put Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs on my JK and they are even better in the rain, haven't had them in the snow yet. Could your tire pressure be too low? They should be a decent all around tire.
I have no idea mate... I have 255/75/17 silent armors on 14/32 tread depth a bit shallow...wish it had more thread... and no I aired them according to specs written on door panel for it, I tried nitrogen and its alot more comfortable...im thinking of getting edelbrock ais shocks but dont know if theyll be better
Old 08-31-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Australian Rubicons

Here in Australia, Goodyear Silent Armor tyres are standard fitment on Rubicons - for me, they are a good all-round tyre: good in the dirt and on the beach, quiet on the road and good on wet roads, and comfortable over long distances. I'd most probably think seriously about buying them again when I need new tyres. Don't have any snow here in Brisbane Australia, so definitely can't comment on that!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Since when do Silent Armors come OEM?
My 2009 had SAs on it.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Rubicon is my DD and my BFG M/Ts and at ~15k miles they have been a much better all around tire than I expected. I haven't had any issues with them in the rain, they've been pretty quiet and smooth, and they actually corner pretty well on dry pavement when driving more aggressively than I should be.

However, I had them in some light snow over the weekend and they were terrible. I was driving as gingerly as possible and my ESP/TC, and ABS was coming on all over the place. There wasn't enough snow to have it in 4wd so this was a big shock. IDK, maybe it was icy underneath... I hope my opinion of them improves because we get a lot of snow here and this will be a major issue. No one else seemed to be having any issues other than one uphill part where I did put it in 4wd for a sec. I did see the aftermath of one accident, but I'm not sure what happened...

I will say that the ESP/TC did work nicely, I just didn't expect to see it come on so often. I've driven in snow a lot and never had issues like that. Maybe I've been spoiled with quality A/Ts. I've never had M/Ts on a DD before.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

The BFG s suck in the snow. They need sipes.
I got the Silent Armours and they went through all winter had to throw at it
with only having to go into 4wd a couple of times, and the computer traction control abs went on less as well. They also seem to be a softer rubber which
may help with the grip.

The BFGs I keep for the summer cause they seem to handle everything
else well.

Quick Reply: silent armor vs bfg mt