Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Side Steps for JKU

Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side Steps for JKU

My wife is vertically challenged and has a hard time entering my JKU (2012 2.5 lift with 35s). I currently have the factory side step, which is to high for her to get in comfortably. Granted I am keeping my mileage lower, since she always prefers to take our other vehicle. I have been looking to replace the factory side step with something that is low enough to offer assistance getting in and can possibly double as a slider. I have seen several variations and want to know what other have done.

What did you install and what is the measurement from bottom of door entry? Pics would be great!!

Are the adjustable steps any good? How about the automatic one (does it also act as a slider)?

Oh, and she didn't like the idea of the stir-up.. Not sure why?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Rugged Ridge Slider. Works good as a step, but not the best slider. I've beat mine up pretty well, though. Try the ACE slider, it seems to work well, esp if you add some anti skid tape to step on.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billbikes
I have the Rugged Ridge Slider. Works good as a step, but not the best slider. I've beat mine up pretty well, though. Try the ACE slider, it seems to work well, esp if you add some anti skid tape to step on.
How much lower was the Rugged Ridge for lower part of door? Trying to determine how much lower than stock step.

The ACE does look solid, although it looks like it is installed under the Rubi slider? http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...Door_p_15.html
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Rock slide engineering, step sliders. I have these installed. They are great rock sliders, and have a step that drops when you open the door. My four year old can now get into my JKU with three inch lift without help. Highly recommended.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go with ace . They are great guys and make a great product. I have seen there shop a few times (only 20mins from my house) I will almost exclusively buy there products because how well they treat there customers.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bumperfender
Rock slide engineering, step sliders. I have these installed. They are great rock sliders, and have a step that drops when you open the door. My four year old can now get into my JKU with three inch lift without help. Highly recommended.
Just took a look at them. Very cool, but but also $$$$. It is compatible to the other electric ones I have seen, but including the slider too. I can't seem to justify the cost though, there would be too many things on the list ahead. I could probably do without the automatic if the step was adjustable or could be put on or taken off when needed.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have ACE and couldn't be happier with them, worth the money for sure.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Rugged Ridge and Smittybuilt are pretty much the same design. They bolt up to the body bolts(sort of). Their main downfall is they are made in China of pretty cheap steel. I wouldn't buy them again. The Ace is a better option, IMO. They also mount to the body bolts. They sit below the bottom lip of the body. If you have Rubi Rails, they sit below them, just barely. Pretty much the same height as the stock steps. If you go off road at all, you're not going to want too low of a step, you'll just tip it off, or it'll get hung up and you'll get stuck. I have seen a remove able step, that you can take off the slider when you wheel. I can't remember the brand though.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billbikes
Rugged Ridge and Smittybuilt are pretty much the same design. They bolt up to the body bolts(sort of). Their main downfall is they are made in China of pretty cheap steel. I wouldn't buy them again. The Ace is a better option, IMO. They also mount to the body bolts. They sit below the bottom lip of the body. If you have Rubi Rails, they sit below them, just barely. Pretty much the same height as the stock steps. If you go off road at all, you're not going to want too low of a step, you'll just tip it off, or it'll get hung up and you'll get stuck. I have seen a remove able step, that you can take off the slider when you wheel. I can't remember the brand though.
+1 I have some N-fab steps that look great and work well as steps, but when I go wheeling I'm always bouncing it off the rocks and it has become the lowest point in the midsection of my JKU. It mounts on the pinch of the tub and I have a few dimples from it bending up and I've had to bend it back down a few times. The bottom of the steps are pretty bashed in at this point and it is high on my list of things to replace/upgrade. I've been looking at the ACE and the Smittybilt and like the ACE for being made here in the USA.

Quick Reply: Side Steps for JKU