Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shrockworks Vs LOD

Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup there are write ups for front and back on here which are extremely good.

None for the rock sliders. I bypassed that issue by welding them the hell onto the frame.

Originally Posted by wal0vitch
Ya thats why I think I am going with the LOD..... I like the rear alot more then the shrockworks so I was going to go with front and rear lod.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

i might get them as well
Old 03-16-2010, 01:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by wal0vitch
Im looking for a new stubby bumper and need some help Shrockworks VS LOD. Witch would be better and why?
Let me put my spin on this question.

1. As David has pointed out, there is a much longer wait for a Shrockworks bumper. And, they charge your credit card the full amount up front. And, they give estimates on products delivery dates that are overly optimistic--sometimes way overly optimistic. Understandably, some folks don't like that.

2. Both companies make some nice products. But, when you compare a Shrockworks to an LOD, you can see slight differences in the design and construction. Shrockworks bumpers look more like one piece of metal from which the bumper is formed. LOD looks like more pieces of metal that have been welded together. Nice welds (on both), but there is a difference. For example, compare the shackle points on the Shrockworks to the LOD. The Shrockworks shackle points are made from one piece of billet material that fits through a slot from the back of the bumper. They are then welded on the front and the back. In order to pull a Shrockworks shackle off, you'd have to break the welds on both sides, and deform the billet material from which it's formed enough that it would slide through the mounting hole. Looking at an LOD rear bumper, it appeared to me that the shackle point was just welded on the front of the bumper face. Having said that, has anyone ever heard of a shackle point pulling off an LOD bumper? I haven't.

3. Look at the overall design of both bumpers. They both are nice--if you like one's aesthetics, you'll probably like the other. The one thing that does stand out is the winch hoop: On the Shrockworks it is about twice the diameter of the LOD. To me, it appears to be more consistent with the design of the JK. IMHO, the LOD winch hoop looks ... wimpy.

4. I'm not certain what design options LOD offers for their products, but Shrockworks offers various options for their bumpers. For example, TORN has both a winch hoop and a grill hoop. And, when he ordered his rock rails, Shrockworks made some minor adjustments so he could leave his stock Rubi rails on with a 1" BL. It covers that ugly pinch seam and gives the sides a nice, finished look.

5. Look at the Shrockworks rear bumper, because its a sign of how they build things--ready for a Sherman tank. The jerry can holders are stout. In fact, so stout that I prefer the minimalistic approach of LOD for their jerry can holders to save weight. But, the Shrockworks bumpers don't require anything else (except a small padlock) to hold the jerry cans in place. They are heavy--and complete. Most folks are using a tie strap to hold the jerry cans on an LOD bumper. And I know that TORN has a small chain and padlock to secure the cans from theft--nothing was provided.

6. Another feature of the rear bumper: Shrockworks retains the stock hitch. This is a rated hitch. Plenty of people have used the unrated hitches on aftermarket bumpers for towing. On the LOD, that means you have additional holes you need to drill during bumper installation (within the past month I've helped TORN install his rear LOD and he helped me to install my Shrockworks). As for the actual, safe rating of one of these unrated bumpers: Your guess is as good as the next guy's.

7. Finishes: You can get the Shrockworks unfinished, or in krinkle black, semi-gloss black or anthracite. I believe LOD's are all advertised as krinkle black (or whatever they call it), but they have stated on this site that they would paint in semi-glass black. So, if that's an important factor for you, I suggest that you contact LOD for details on what the options are.

8. The Shrockworks bumpers come with printed instructions. Between those, and the threads here on JK-Forum about installs, there's plenty of information to reliably install their products. I did still have a couple of questions and talked to Jim (owner of Shrockworks--he always answered the phone when I called) and he quickly and patiently answered them. For TORN's LOD rear bumper, we used the instructions on the website and that install went smoothly. We did not find it necessary to contact LOD, so can't address the customer service experience after purchase.

Bottom line is that at the end of the day, whichever of these bumper you chose, I think you'll be happy. They are both quality products.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by e-jeep
Excellent write-up/comparison Mark. Thanks. I debated between Shrock and LoD for quite a while ...I went with LoD in the end, but it always seemed like it'd of been a win/win decision either way.
Thanks for the comment.... And I see it as a Win Win also...
Old 03-17-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as instructions on the LoD, the write up on here is enough, it's not that hard.

For the rear, see LoD's site, I just got my Rear with tire carrier in today and they have instructions on their website with full color pictures to help!!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
As far as instructions on the LoD, the write up on here is enough, it's not that hard. For the rear, see LoD's site, I just got my Rear with tire carrier in today and they have instructions on their website with full color pictures to help!!!!!
The write-up that TORN and I used to install his is here on JK-Forum ...

Here.

I find that sometimes it's helpful to have multiple sources/perspectives. When I'm doing a tough install, I not only like to have the provided written directions, but my laptop setting out in my garage connected over Wi-Fi to available online resources.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think anyone on here has had problems with the LoD or Shrockworks bumpers.

To me, it's all about looks at that point.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
The Lod is worst case 6 weeks.

David
Yea, this is the third for me waiting on my LoD......Maybe next week??
Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have neither of these, still stock for now, but will eventually choose between these two though. It's probably been about five years or so by now (used to live in Houston), but I once had an Xterra with Shrockworks' rock sliders. They were great. I went to Jim's shop and he helped me install them as well. Just sayin'.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

I went back and forth deciding between the two for a long time as well. I think you can't go wrong either way. Both look like high quality products, and I haven't heard anything negative about the performance of either one. It's mostly a matter of which one looks better to you. If you want a stinger though, Lod would have to be your choice because Shrockworks doesn't offer it.

Personally I went with Shrockworks all the way around (front, rear and sliders). You gotta be patient though. My Shrockworks front bumper took 6 months. Before I ordered it, they told me it would take 2 to 2-1/2 months, which made the 6 months feel like years. My rear one is on order, and I'm not even gonna think about it until August.

One thing about the Lod stubby front, is that it sticks out a bit farther than the Shrockworks stubby, reducing your approach angle, but if you want to keep your stock fog lights, that's a compromise you'll need to make.

I like the thicker diameter winch hoop and the light tabs on the Shrockworks front, and the jerry can mounts and better visibility on the rear....some of the main considerations for me going with Shrockworks. I hate the wait though. That's the compromise I had to make.

Quick Reply: Shrockworks Vs LOD