Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shrockworks Rock Rails Last Two Nuts

Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Shrockworks Rock Rails Last Two Nuts

Alright, I've got my Shrockworks Rock Rails mostly on. The one on the passenger side looks great! However, the procedure is slightly different than the write up (I think because of some updates for the 2008 model). Not a problem until the last two bolts and nuts at the back of the driver's side rails. The sticks welded to the nuts aren't long enough to reach behind the holes cut for the bolts. I realize that these guys are billed as the ones that take the most patience to get right, but I can't even get the nuts near the holes. If I could weld, I could make the sticks longer I suppose. If I were Picard, I could just say, "Make it so."

Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bump

OK, with a pair of pliers clamped to the nut stick, I got the bottom bolt in place. No chance for the side bolt, so I'm going to drill through the frame rail for the lower hole and see if I can get the nut behind that hole.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're still having issues, try to PM me a little later today and I'll see if I can find some help for you.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks for the offer Doojer

But I finally got it. There is some foreward/backward leeway in where you place the rock rails and I had mine pushed further forward. That contributed to the stick on the nut not being long enough. I tightly wrapped some thick metal wire around the nut and stick essentially making the stick longer. This extra wire held the nut well, but made the nut too wide for the hole you have to stick it through. So I drilled a hole that intersected with the hole you stick it through just so it would fit into the frame. That finally did it. It took about half a day to figure out each problem and then make the adjustment, but it's done, is solid and looks great.

Now I need to find some trails near me! Oh, and take pictures. And get new wheels. And........
Old 11-04-2007, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any chance you took some pictures of how you made this work? please, please, please!!!
mine should be here this week and it sounds like i will need all the help i can get!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

The package list says that it comes with one stick nut longer than the others. Not only is it longer, but it is 2x longer and I did not receive it. I am not sure why they only include one longer stick nut because I actually need two. I called Shrockworks a week ago about this and they said they would send two long stick nuts, but I haven't received them yet. I think you should use the longer stick nuts as you may one day need to remove the rails and I would think it would be very difficult to remove without them.

EDIT: I received the longer stick today. Thanks for the quick turn around and I really like rock rails. It was nice to replace the two completely broken factory installed side steps.

Last edited by rramsdell; 11-05-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Former Vendor

Give us a call and we'll get it sorted out for you ASAP.

Nick
Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi

I can help you also, I have pictures too, but I have a two door, the holes in the frame may be different. There is also a thread already discussing this. I dont have time right now to find it. I'll have to get back to it later.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was too busy to take pictures while I was doing it, but will be happy to take some after pictures to show you the front set-up difference from the write up and the additional hole I made in the back. The bottom nut stick was bent multiple times (including sideways) to get it in place. Also, I couldn't get it in place by holding it with my fingers. I had to clamp in pliers. I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight.

If you've got a wife and kids, save yourself some consteration by setting a full day aside to get it done right. Once again, I'm pleased as punch to have them installed!

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
any chance you took some pictures of how you made this work? please, please, please!!!
mine should be here this week and it sounds like i will need all the help i can get!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor

here is that last driver side bottom install.

Nick

Quick Reply: Shrockworks Rock Rails Last Two Nuts