Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shrockworks Rock Rail

Old 02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vs_jk
I really like the looks of these. I've been reading good things about their protection capabilities. Just one thing, the main reason why I'm looking at getting these is because my wife wants some side steps. But the mopar ones are not very strong from what I've heard. So what I want to know is, do these work very well as steps? How about in the winter time when they've got some snow/ice on them? I just want to make sure I'm getting exactly what I want before buying these.
Holy cow old thread brought up from the deep! Maybe I can help you out. I have these on my Jeep and yes they do stick out far enough to provide enough of a step to use to get in and out, however there are two problems.

1. They are not the right height to be used as a great step in and out of the Jeep. Yes they can be used as a step, but by the time you step on them you could almost step right in the Jeep.

2. You really should put some type of grip tape for traction on the top of them, especially in wet conditions. I need to do it still and I do not live in a wet climate, but I have nearly fallen the couple times I have tried to use them when it has been damp out.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by vs_jk
I really like the looks of these. I've been reading good things about their protection capabilities. Just one thing, the main reason why I'm looking at getting these is because my wife wants some side steps. But the mopar ones are not very strong from what I've heard. So what I want to know is, do these work very well as steps? How about in the winter time when they've got some snow/ice on them? I just want to make sure I'm getting exactly what I want before buying these.
They work great as steps -- I use 'em all the time to access my roof rack. They're not very wide though, so I usually hold on to the roof rack with at least one hand. I would also strongly recommend you put some anti-slip tape on them.

Slush doesn't seem to accumulate on mine. They also block some of the spray up on the side. Brown slush on the handles sucks a little, but what can you do. It's probably worse for folks without the steps or rock sliders.

Here's a pic of mine:

BTW, if you're planning on adding some skid plates, do the skids first _then_ the rock sliders.

js.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

ctimrun's reply about them not being the right height to use as steps is from a guy's POV. My husband doesn't use them to get in my jeep and can step right over them, however I would not be able to climb into my jeep without using them as a step! Guess it depends on how tall your wife is and how high your jeep is - I am 5'5" and have a 3" FT lift that is sitting much higher than that. Bill is 6", and I think ctimrun is about the same.

I haven't put traction tape on them, and I have no problem using them even when I'm wearing heels. The only time I have a problem with slipping is when they are wet and I'm not wearing shoes (washing the jeep).

I use the steering wheel to pull myself up, for your wife in the passenger seat you would probably want to add a grab handle if you don't have them already.

Love 'em and highly recommend them.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I will be ordering a pair of these soon!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OffTopic
ctimrun's reply about them not being the right height to use as steps is from a guy's POV.
There goes Lori again, trying to start an argument!

Originally Posted by OffTopic
I haven't put traction tape on them, and I have no problem using them even when I'm wearing heels.
Jeeps and women in high heels
Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
There goes Lori again, trying to start an argument!

Jeeps and women in high heels

I just like to give YOU a hard time
Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Maybe I missed it but, do these fit on with the factory rubicon rails?Any pics would be great!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by easttnruby
Maybe I missed it but, do these fit on with the factory rubicon rails?Any pics would be great!
No the Shrockworks sliders will not fit with the Rubicon rails installed.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

YES they will..."IF" you let them know that when you place your order. I have them on mine w/ the Factory Rubi rails...

Old 02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Is that the 1" body lift option for the sliders?

Quick Reply: Shrockworks Rock Rail