Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shrockworks rear bumper -#1

Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
I don't get why so many people LOVE the fact that the hitch is not integrated. ......

Any chance of another version with the ends tailing off into tubes for the last 4 inches or so, to accomodate tube fenders?

We have already designed a stubby version that is body width and are putting it together now. We will offer both the full width version pictured and the stubby version. Itt's the same bumper with shorter wings. Pics to follow....ahhhh...let's say about a week and dont hold me to it.

On the hitch, we thought about this a lot. As with most things, there are trade-offs whichever way you go. Here is our reasoning.

The stock hitch sits right on the bottom of a frame cross member, it is very strong, it is removable and a lot of people already have it. In order to do an integrated hitch, it would only make sense to put it above the frame crossmember. Putting it in-line with the frame crossmember would mean making the whole bumper stick out a lot further from the back of the Jeep in order to have a useable length receiver…..not good. Putting it above means raising the tire about 3” from where we will be putting and would mean very little view out the back with a big tire. Where we are putting it is high enough to keep it from dragging but will give more visibility than if the hitch was mounted higher. If you are a hard-core guy, just leave the hitch off. Even if you leave it on, you may drag it sometimes, but it won’t hold you up (my experience with a lot of wheeling in my JK), it’s strong enough that you won’t damage it, and I’d rather grind and beat up a removable receiver hitch than the actual bumper.

If you don’t already have the factory hitch, we will offer one you can buy with the bumper.

Last edited by shrockworks; 11-20-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SDMF
Honestly I'd like to see some other mfg's try this out.
I don't think Rock Hard would have an issue. And if the Shrockworks bumper is anything like the sliders, then they having nothing to worry about.

NOW, I'd like to see a bumper that could hold me when it swung open.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shrockworks
If you don’t already have the factory hitch, we will offer one you can buy with the bumper.
Not to mention there's always one or two up for sale here.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

What about putting the tire on an angle and not straight vertical?
Not only does it look bad ass, but helps out keeping the tire from dragging if at a steep enough approach angle.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BLKRuby
What about putting the tire on an angle and not straight vertical?
Not only does it look bad ass, but helps out keeping the tire from dragging if at a steep enough approach angle.
We'll take a look at this.

Link to the pics on our www site:

Jeep JK Tire Carrier Rear Bumper

Last edited by shrockworks; 11-20-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ventura911
The width is perfect, IMO.

For those who aren't happy with it, remember, it wasn't too long ago when people wanted something a bit wider than a stubby, perhaps something that could use the factory fogs.

I don't doubt that Jim and the gang at Shrockworks will come up with other solutions, if the market is there.
I don't have factory fogs in the rear bumper.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have already designed a stubby version that is body width and are putting it together now. We will offer both the full width version pictured and the stubby version. Itt's the same bumper with shorter wings. Pics to follow....ahhhh...let's say about a week and dont hold me to it.

On the hitch, we thought about this a lot. As with most things, there are trade-offs whichever way you go. Here is our reasoning.

The stock hitch sits right on the bottom of a frame cross member, it is very strong, it is removable and a lot of people already have it. In order to do an integrated hitch, it would only make sense to put it above the frame crossmember. Putting it in-line with the frame crossmember would mean making the whole bumper stick out a lot further from the back of the Jeep in order to have a useable length receiver…..not good. Putting it above means raising the tire about 3” from where we will be putting and would mean very little view out the back with a big tire. Where we are putting it is high enough to keep it from dragging but will give more visibility than if the hitch was mounted higher. If you are a hard-core guy, just leave the hitch off. Even if you leave it on, you may drag it sometimes, but it won’t hold you up (my experience with a lot of wheeling in my JK), it’s strong enough that you won’t damage it, and I’d rather grind and beat up a removable receiver hitch than the actual bumper.

Hey Jim,

I love that you are considering offering a stubby version. Will it still wrap around the corner, but just not stick out so far. If so, I'm sold. Tube fenders are definitely in my plans, but I still want corner protection from my bumper. As far as the hitch goes, I'm OK with using the stock hitch. I am planning on buying a tent camper and will be towing about 3000 lbs. I feel more comfortable using one that is rated for towing. From what I here, even though we know your bumper would be strong enough, you can't get it tow rated if it's attached to the bumper. Is this true?

Thanks for listening.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

We'll take a look at this.

Link to the pics on our www site:

Jeep JK Tire Carrier Rear Bumper

looks real good
Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rramsdell
I don't have factory fogs in the rear bumper.
Me either, but I would like some.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Very very nice!!!

Quick Reply: shrockworks rear bumper -#1