Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shrockworks Front Bumper UPDATE

Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by putnam dan
well its bound to be better than my skill - and believe it or not I'm a designer

The licence plate should mount nicely between winch bar and bumper with a little thought
How about this?

I think my angles are off, but that is the basic idea.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 02-16-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Eternal ***erator

well its bound to be better than my skill - and believe it or not I'm a designer

The licence plate should mount nicely between winch bar and bumper with a little thought
*L* me too, of sorts.

Mebbe we should get a bit of a break from shrockworks for the think tank & free market research?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Your welds are a little sloppy!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Eternal ***erator

Sitting here looking at this... i think if i put it between the headlights and turn indicators, it would block the aftermarket light location and hinder that... I think the top would be the most usable anchor point.

Yeah, a license plate holder could be fabbed up almost anywhere.

There is supposed to be a cover plate if the winch isnt used, so a simple "L" bracket on top of that would be pretty easy (and simple to remove if a winch was added)
Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Your welds are a little sloppy!
uh... i was holding the vice grips... i flinched.

hey! them things get pretty warm!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Eternal ***erator

It helps that the original design is so wonderful in its simplicity
Yeah it does. I think that is why i like it.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks really nice. I love free R&D work. Though designed and built are 2 different things.

Ron
Old 02-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by PBR_Stitch
That looks really nice. I love free R&D work. Though designed and built are 2 different things.

Ron
Yessir they are, that is why this type of conversing during design is so beneficial. Some of the major bugs can get worked out before anyone busts a knuckle.

I dont see any reason why this couldn't be built.
No overly horrible angles, the worst part i see is the tube to tube welds for the triangulation bars. Stock car builders do those all the time so i doubt that would be any trouble at all.

Isincerely hope that a finished bumper incorporating the factory fogs isn't made full width. That is the only thing i do not like about the AEV one (oh, and the $). It is to wide, and i like the stubby/semistubby look.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 PM
TCM
JK Newbie

HappyCurmudgeon's stretched version of the bumper is the perfect length. If the hoop was mounted perpendicular to the bumper in a vertical position I would buy this setup immediately. Maybe that is the case, it is just hard to tell from the current batch of photos.

It is pleasing to see that someone has finally produced a JK bumper that does not extend the full width of the vehicle and rise up on the ends to fill in the gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom edge of the flare like the AEV, FabFour and many others, yet is a bit more designed than the rudementary bumpers like PureJeep and Kilby. The ARB bumper for TJs filled in the gap between the bumper and the flare and it was for this reason I never liked it. I just see no reason for it other than esthetics (assuming that is what you like). Okay maybe it would cut down on wind noise.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

This bumper is awesome. I'll be ordering the one with the winch hoop and light tabs. I live where a front license plate is required also. But who cares! What kind of fine could it be? I'm also liking the rock rails. Any idea when you'll have a rear bumper/tire carrier?

Last edited by nightmare73; 02-16-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Shrockworks Front Bumper UPDATE