Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Show me your hydro steering setups

Old 03-20-2016, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me your hydro steering setups

I swapped steering boxes with someone who had hydro assist and was looking to return their jeep to stock before trading it in. So I've got a ported box just waiting for me to figure out how I want my setup done. Well, last weekend I found myself in a jam where hydro would have been very helpful... So it's time I quit being lazy and get this off the to do list.

I'm looking for pics, tips, tricks, and whatever else you guys can throw at me.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizz
I swapped steering boxes with someone who had hydro assist and was looking to return their jeep to stock before trading it in. So I've got a ported box just waiting for me to figure out how I want my setup done. Well, last weekend I found myself in a jam where hydro would have been very helpful... So it's time I quit being lazy and get this off the to do list.

I'm looking for pics, tips, tricks, and whatever else you guys can throw at me.

Thanks.
I have a bunch in my build thread and photobucket if you wanted to look at. Also jko has a diy write up that has great detail also.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
I have a bunch in my build thread and photobucket if you wanted to look at. Also jko has a diy write up that has great detail also.
Thanks Maertz. I'll check your thread shortly. You probably will receive a PM from me after.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran the redneck ram, West Texas offroad setup on my old jeep.
Did great the year I had it. Drove it all over the USA with no problems.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my list of stuff to get done with my Jeep. Been thinking about doing the plumbing on my stock gear box myself and piece a kit together.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Open the 'Steering box upgrade?' thread, should still be current on the first page or two of this modified section. In one of the posts by Invest, he included a link to his build. Post #108 in that thread is a concise list of parts for a DIY setup.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran with just a stock tapped box for a while with a PSC ram, it worked fine as long as you werent making quick changes in direction. Recently went with a PSC pump and res. Holy crap, so much better. Took maybe an hour to install. I also have a rather large derale cooler. Overall, the ratio of time and money spent compared to the benefit it provides was excellent. You can easily do hydro assist on a JK with a PSC ram for less than $300.

Last edited by TweakJK; 03-21-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
Ran the redneck ram, West Texas offroad setup on my old jeep.
Did great the year I had it. Drove it all over the USA with no problems.

So it looks like you went with a pair of tabs welded to the axle and a clamp on the tie rod. This is what I was thinking, but welding to my truss instead. I guess I need to start taking measurements and making phone calls lol. Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TweakJK
I ran with just a stock tapped box for a while with a PSC ram, it worked fine as long as you werent making quick changes in direction. Recently went with a PSC pump and res. Holy crap, so much better. Took maybe an hour to install. I also have a rather large derale cooler. Overall, the ratio of time and money spent compared to the benefit it provides was excellent. You can easily do hydro assist on a JK with a PSC ram for less than $300.

You recommend the pump with hydroboost from PSC then? What size tires are you turning and how much street time does your jeep see?
I like the pump kit, but I picked up a redneck ram steering box, lines, and ram for $200. So that pump kit would be double my hydro setup I'm not afraid to spend the money, but prefer to do it on worthwhile investments.
Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blizz
So it looks like you went with a pair of tabs welded to the axle and a clamp on the tie rod. This is what I was thinking, but welding to my truss instead. I guess I need to start taking measurements and making phone calls lol. Thanks for the pics.
I didn't want the ram pushing the middle of the tie rod out so we did some fab work.
This had a more sold feel to it and less flex on the tie rod. I was running the ruff stuff tie rod.

Quick Reply: Show me your hydro steering setups