Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should you fix it if it isn't broken?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should you fix it if it isn't broken?

I am contemplating changing out some parts (ugrading) to accomodate 37" tires but everything is working fine on my 08 Rub w/ 3.25"? Should I just wait and see what happens and then react?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

I don't think there's anything wrong with some solid preparation. If you KNOW something's going to give out because of mods, prepare for it in advance so it doesn't give it. I think there will always be surprises, though. I'd just hate to be away from home when a problem occurs.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

If absolutely nothing else get replacement trac-bar brackets or get some form of gusset. I snapped my front one off the axle around October-November of 2009 and this new years I snapped the rear one off. Those would be my two no nonsense preparations right off the bat if I started another JK project.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBeast
I am contemplating changing out some parts (ugrading) to accomodate 37" tires but everything is working fine on my 08 Rub w/ 3.25"? Should I just wait and see what happens and then react?
you've been posting a lot about this lately and it sounds like you're really just hoping that someone will tell you what you want to hear. so, i'll tell it to you now - if you're convinced that your jeep is working just fine as is, don't spend a dime until you feel it's necessary. how else will you know if the parts you get make a difference.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I am doing is setting aside money for the parts I need to replace.

I am using them right now because I can not lay down the cash immediately to replace them, being the front driveshaft and some LCAs.

As soon as the money gets sent out for these items I will pull that shaft off and get ready for the goods to arrive.

In short, it is always smart to have a plan in place, and especially if your JK is your daily driver, you need to have the means to get yourself up and running in the event of any kind of failure or part replacement.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Wayoflife nails it. When it comes to adding MODs or upgrading, you generally do it because you know the part your installing is a lot better or you broke something to force you to replace it. Most of us do NOT waste money on replacing parts that work because we are JEEP freaks.(and we have a wife/girlfriend as a conscious)
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep2007
Most of us do NOT waste money on replacing parts that work because we are JEEP freaks.(and we have a wife/girlfriend as a conscious)
Amen to that. My wife is my buying conscience. Unless it is needed, or for safety, or it looks REALLY good... Then I don't buy it.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tadempsey808
Amen to that. My wife is my buying conscience. Unless it is needed, or for safety, or it looks REALLY good... Then I don't buy it.
the good thing about those three reasons. You can always fit a mod under one of those.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm using the "if I don't replace it, then when it does break it will cause other parts to break then it will cost more then it would if I had just replaced it to begin with." At about this point she just rolls her eyes and says, "well go ahead and do it if you really need to..." Works like a charm.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thombull
I'm using the "if I don't replace it, then when it does break it will cause other parts to break then it will cost more then it would if I had just replaced it to begin with." At about this point she just rolls her eyes and says, "well go ahead and do it if you really need to..." Works like a charm.
This is the philosophy I used when I did my suspension lift. I realize not everyone can do this and I have the extra benefit (most days) of being single.

I did lift, driveshafts, drag link flip, gears, trackbars, etc all at once even though I discarded factory parts with a lot of service life left in them as I think it gives the new parts the best possible chance of getting full, reliable service life from them.

Quick Reply: Should you fix it if it isn't broken?