Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should shocks need replaced after less than two years???

Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should shocks need replaced after less than two years???

Update = Teraflex stands behind their products. I received two replacements free of charge with no questions asked

Click image for larger version

Name:	Teraflex9550.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	134317

Is it acceptable for a shock to last less than 22 months? This is a picture of my Teraflex 9550's that I installed in May of 2009. As you can see, one of them no longer functions at all. I gave Teraflex a pass on my steering stabilizer that only lasted from June 2009 until January 2011, but this is strike two. Am I expecting too much? Is this an acceptable lifetime for these parts?

Last edited by Saharaunlmtd; 03-23-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry to say, my JK is 99.9% on-road driving...
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe you should ask terraflex. Did you talk to then before posting here? I'd bet no.
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on mileage and use more than time frame.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Maybe you should ask terraflex. Did you talk to then before posting here? I'd bet no.
I wanted to see what other folks opinions were before going to the manufacturer. I know very little about shocks so I wanted to get a feeling for what should be expected.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
they really should last longer than that...you could call teraflex and explain to them what happened. and how you use this jeep as a daily driver. and they might so gratitude and give you a percentage off new shocks?
but other than that, it seems like you just got the short end of the stick my friend.
Well, I put Bilstein 5100's this weekend because the ride was starting to feel a bit harsh. After pulling off the shocks, I see why...
Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WARRANTY POLICY:
TeraFlex Inc. warrants TeraFlex products to the original retail purchaser to be free of defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the
vehicle on which products were originally installed.
Failure to complete regular maintenance (grease every 3,000 miles) on TeraFlex FlexArms will void this warranty. All other conditions of the standard TeraFlex Inc. product
warranty apply.
All TeraLow products are covered by the TeraFlex Inc. two-year warranty to be free of defects in material and workmanship for two years from date purchased.
TeraFlex axles are covered by the TeraFlex Inc. 12-month warranty to be free of defects in materials and workmanship.
This warranty does not cover or include product finish, improperly installed or applied products, improperly maintained products, products used for racing or competition
or damage due to abuse or neglect.
All returns must be accompanied by an original invoice. It is the customer’s responsibility to remove the product from the vehicle. Inbound shipping charges (from you to
us) are the responsibility of the customer. TeraFlex Inc. will pay the return freight.

I would say call TeraFlex......
Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2, call teraflex. even if you do not want to use their shocks anymore, you could probably sell the replacements to recoup the money you had to put out for bilsteins.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
x2, call teraflex. even if you do not want to use their shocks anymore, you could probably sell the replacements to recoup the money you had to put out for bilsteins.
+1. I'd see if TF will send you some new ones and put them up for sale as new. I suspect TF shocks are simply re-branded no-names of mediocre quality. I had awesome luck with Bilstein 5100's on my last truck. I ran hem pretty hard and when I traded the truck they were still as good as new. When my JK needs new shocks, I'll definitely get some 5100's, they're by far the best value I've come across in a shock.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, one week and two emails later, still no response from Teraflex.

Quick Reply: Should shocks need replaced after less than two years???