Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I wait till after break in

Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I wait till after break in

My name is Sal and I am new to the board, I have been doing alot of research but I thought I would post my first question
I will soon be getting my first jeep, I have plenty of experience in wheelin but in Toyota's, and I was planning on doing intake exhaust and a programmer. But the question is should I wait till after I break the engine in a couple of 1000 miles before messing with it? I know many people go crazy and do everything within the first week of ownership, but the question is should I not could I.

Sal
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default wait

The computer seems to run different settings during the break in. I would let it do its thing before messing with it.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Welcome to the board.

Your best bet is to do a little more searching here on each of those components. You'll find the general consensus to be that performance gains on this particular engine are minimal for the amount of money you'll spend. (or possibly noticeable gains, but in the wrong part of the power band - however you choose to look at it.) Which is why so many are going to superchargers or straight to a hemi swap.

Quite a few people have also reported that the engine wakes up a bit after 5 or 6k miles, which may be something to watch for...
Old 08-07-2009, 10:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know it isn't going to feel like a hemi, but i have done the intake and exhaust on enough vehicals to know it does give a touch more pep, a touch better MPG, and just plain sounds cool. I have never done the programmer thing, but since i am eventually going to do the lift, tires and gearing. So i figure i am going to go ahead and do it right since this will be such a new vehicle, and i have always read that to really see the full benefit of the intake and exhaust you need to have the programmer to complete the system. But once again I know that at the end of this i am still driving a brick on wheels powered by a V6, I am not expecting miracles.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it time to break in. you would actually be suprised what happens after its own break in pieord.

Quick Reply: Should I wait till after break in