Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I upgrade coils, shocks or possibly re-gear?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan4life79
I think I may have enough to get my Jeep re-geared to 4.88 as I found a place fairly inexpensive to do it.
What was the price they were going to charge you? I want to regear before I invest in new tires, but don't know how much it costs. Wondering if maybe I should just wait until I make a friend that would help guide me through doing it myself cause I heard it can be very pricey.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by slctid
What was the price they were going to charge you? I want to regear before I invest in new tires, but don't know how much it costs. Wondering if maybe I should just wait until I make a friend that would help guide me through doing it myself cause I heard it can be very pricey.

Prices can vary wildly from shop to shop and region to region. You will see a few shops offering $1000 specials. The average price seems to be around $1600. And some folks (mostly east coast and upper northwest) complain about paying $3000+. You need to check 'your' local rates, not what someone on the other side of the country is paying.

If you want to try it yourself, you are going to get a whole lot of people telling you not to. But, read this one and see what you think. Just be sure you all the specialty tools on hand before you start.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/
Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Prices can vary wildly from shop to shop and region to region. You will see a few shops offering $1000 specials. The average price seems to be around $1600. And some folks (mostly east coast and upper northwest) complain about paying $3000+. You need to check 'your' local rates, not what someone on the other side of the country is paying.

If you want to try it yourself, you are going to get a whole lot of people telling you not to. But, read this one and see what you think. Just be sure you all the specialty tools on hand before you start.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/
Oh wow that really put things into perspective. I think I definitely would rather pay a shop to do it. Thanks for that thread. Haha. After reading it though I am still a little confused as to why the x model with the 3.21 gearing (which unfortunately is what I have) on the front dana 30 requires a new carrier or lockers? Sorry I am not the smartest when it comes to mechanics. But as far as shops go I live in salt lake city and imagine there are many shops that do this kind of work. Do you think my best bet would be to just call around some of the local offroad shops?
Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest doing coils and shocks together, when replacing. You dont want to over extended or bottom out the shocks, because you swapped one or the either, instead of together. Also look at your sway bar links, as they will probably need some adjustment or new ones when downsizing your life.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend against 37s on a DD. I couldn't wait to get my 2007 2dr on 37s and did the Skyjacker lift(5inch). I spent a ton of money correcting all the things left out of that Skyjacker lift and still hated it.

I traded it in after only 3 years on my current JK and felt sorry for whoever bought my 2 dr.

Unless you are a hard core rockcrawler with an unlimited budget stay at 35's or below.

Oh, and NEVER choose your gear installer based on price. Reputation and experience above all else.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by slctid
Do you think my best bet would be to just call around some of the local offroad shops?
Yep, but try and get some reviews, don't just go by the lowest price. Maybe hook up with a local jeep/offroad club and see who they recommend. Or go down to The Staging Area and toss a post in the sub-forum for your area.

For your other question, certain carriers will only accept certain ranges of gear ratios. For the JK dana 30, the break is between 3.21 and 3.73. The specific carrier (the bit that holds the gears) works for 3.21 and lower, or 3.73 and higher. So anyone with 3.21 who wants to go to 3.73 (or higher) needs to replace the carrier. The d44's that jk's use do not have the same carrier break, any ratio is fine for all d44 carriers.

If you are considering lockers, during a regear is the right time to do it. Saves the expense of having the axles ripped apart a second time. And since you have 3.21's, a full case locker/limited slip would take the place of the open carrier in the d30. (so instead of paying for another open carrier, you buy a full case locker/limited slip instead. I think the detroit truetrac is the least expensive option, and quite a good bang for the buck for the non-hardcore crowd)

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-26-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Yep, but try and get some reviews, don't just go by the lowest price. Maybe hook up with a local jeep/offroad club and see who they recommend. Or go down to The Staging Area and toss a post in the sub-forum for your area.

For your other question, certain carriers will only accept certain ranges of gear ratios. For the JK dana 30, the break is between 3.21 and 3.73. The specific carrier (the bit that holds the gears) works for 3.21 and lower, or 3.73 and higher. So anyone with 3.21 who wants to go to 3.73 (or higher) needs to replace the carrier. The d44's that jk's use do not have the same carrier break, any ratio is fine for all d44 carriers.

If you are considering lockers, during a regear is the right time to do it. Saves the expense of having the axles ripped apart a second time. And since you have 3.21's, a full case locker/limited slip would take the place of the open carrier in the d30. (so instead of paying for another open carrier, you buy a full case locker/limited slip instead. I think the detroit truetrac is the least expensive option, and quite a good bang for the buck for the non-hardcore crowd)
That is exactly what I did when I regeared. I threw in a Yukon locker up front instead of having to buy the carrier since I had 321 gears. Cost difference was a few hundred I think. And like others said west coast of us it looks common to be around 1k for regear here in FL where I am it seems to be around $1600. I was able to have my ship allow me to buy gears and locker from NR as I could get a better deal and then paid them the install fee. So it was cheaper and they are great but the local shop also does all my work I need on Jeep as well so that also helped.

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade coils, shocks or possibly re-gear?