Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I upgrade coils, shocks or possibly re-gear?

Old 07-13-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I upgrade coils, shocks or possibly re-gear?

Hey everyone! So I have a 2012 JK Sport that is upgraded a little. I currently have a Skyjacker 4" (well 5" for a 2 door) lift on my Jeep. The ride quality isn't the greatest, but it is a Jeep. :-) I also run Nitto Trail Grappler 295/70/17 tires for right now, upgrading to 37's as soon as I need tires.

Anyways, I have a little bit of money to where I can do an upgrade right now and been debating what I should do. First, I was thinking about upgrading the ride quality a little bit so had thought about new shocks or new coils but not sure which of those I would be better off doing first. The coils I was looking into were the RK 3.5" and the EVO 3", open to any other recommendations on those too. Some of the shocks I have looked at are the Rancho 9000XL adjustable, Bilstein 5100, Fox 2.0. I might be able to swing both shocks and coils, but if you had to choose which of those would you do first?

OR

I think I may have enough to get my Jeep re-geared to 4.88 as I found a place fairly inexpensive to do it.

I have been going back and forth in my head over all of this and would just like more opinions and maybe reason why you would choose one or the other to help me in my decision. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you go offroad with your jeep?
Old 07-13-2015, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

sorry I should have included that, its primarily a DD. I do offroad with it on the weekends on occasion but nothing extreme at all. I have run Red Cone, Middle St Vrain and a few others.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With a netted 5" of lift, your drivetrain will need attention. You might want to start with the sticky threads about lift. There area lot of considerations.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
With a netted 5" of lift, your drivetrain will need attention. You might want to start with the sticky threads about lift. There area lot of considerations.

I already have upgraded my driveshafts and everything did that when I did the lift. This lift was done over a year ago, I am just looking to either upgrade the shocks or coils, or regear. Just trying to get opinions from others.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

That's lots of lift for a 2 door and your tire size IMHO.

You are doing the right thing asking question and doing some homework.

Best think you can do is build your jeep for what you need, be 100% honest with yourself when doing so.

My 50 cents to add to your thought process....

Start from the foundation and work up....not much different then a house.

I would do a quality suspension upgrade with coils, shocks, geometry correction up front, and track bar relocate in the rear.

You noted you are a DD, well so am I with light trails. Did the AEV 2.5" with GEO brackets and WOW, what a improvement in my commute to work. No body roll, no nose dive breaking, expansion bridge joints are soaked up like nothing. Really tightened things up and just drivers better.

The amount of lift I got was under 3" which for my 33s looks good and keeps things in per portion. Also staying bellow 3" did not require and DS issues on the front. Rear is also fine but mine is a JKU.

Added bumpers and rock rails, no issues with sag.

Good luck with your build....
Old 07-13-2015, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by webejeepin
That's lots of lift for a 2 door and your tire size IMHO.

You are doing the right thing asking question and doing some homework.

Best think you can do is build your jeep for what you need, be 100% honest with yourself when doing so.

My 50 cents to add to your thought process....

Start from the foundation and work up....not much different then a house.

I would do a quality suspension upgrade with coils, shocks, geometry correction up front, and track bar relocate in the rear.

You noted you are a DD, well so am I with light trails. Did the AEV 2.5" with GEO brackets and WOW, what a improvement in my commute to work. No body roll, no nose dive breaking, expansion bridge joints are soaked up like nothing. Really tightened things up and just drivers better.

The amount of lift I got was under 3" which for my 33s looks good and keeps things in per portion. Also staying bellow 3" did not require and DS issues on the front. Rear is also fine but mine is a JKU.

Added bumpers and rock rails, no issues with sag.

Good luck with your build....

Thank you very much for that post. I did my lift over a year ago and of course it was a spur of the moment thing. I did not really do the research n such back then and so now I am trying to "fix" what I did wrong little by little. I know the 5 is definitely too high for anything i would ever need even tho I want 37's here in the near future. I know with just 3.5 i can fit 37's. That is why I was thinking of switching out my coils to possibly rock krawler 3.5's and then upgrading shocks very soon as well. Its at least a start in the right direction.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

No problem at all.

If your end goal is 37s then either a quality system at 3.5" with factor fenders would do the trick, the other option I've seen guys to is 2.5" with flat fenders.

Rock Krawler is a solid name, I considered them but understand they may have too much flex for my driving style. I see buy your profile you live in a area that could use the flex so that's a good idea.

Again honest with my self I'm a DD with overland style off road, no rock crawling for me the AEV made sense.

For what it's worth AEV has a forum...all be it AEV centric....there some great threads there on 2.5 lifts with 35 and 37s, same goes for 3.5" kit. Lots of photos there....help with your homework

Cheers
Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would agree, drop down to a 2.5" lift with some flat fenders and you will have a much more drivable jeep for a daily driver. 5" of lift with 37's is not really very stable at speed or in off camber situations off road. I would just keep saving for gearing when you get new tires and do them at the same time.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would agree, drop down to a 2.5" lift with some flat fenders and you will have a much more drivable jeep for a daily driver. 5" of lift with 37's is not really very stable at speed or in off camber situations off road. I would just keep saving for gearing when you get new tires and do them at the same time.
Thanks for the opinion :-) This all has helped quite a bit. I think I am going to go down to 3.5 as I like the look of that. Now to decide shocks or coils first.

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade coils, shocks or possibly re-gear?