Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should i stud or not

Old 12-08-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. For the two guys telling me to slow down and not drive my jeep like an F1, lol, you have no clue how slow i drive "with or without bad weather. But like i said, MTR k are not good when the roads are wet, even when going slow i can feel them slip, so i'd rather have better tires designed a lil more for winter. I understand that these aren't a winter tire, but I hear many people give great reviews on the duratrac tires. I figured since they came pre-drilled and that i was only gonna use them for winter, i should get them studded for more traction, but it seems like i don't need to do that though. As for my buddys friend saying he was all over the road with the studs, that's what i was told, hence why i'm here trying to get more opinions.

Think i'm just gonna avoid the studs.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Finally was able to have a friend with a truck help me get the tires to the shop. Got em mounted and these tires are great. Much better than the MTR k's in the winter weather.

The guy filled the tires to 38 psi. Isn't that way too high? I thought you needed less psi in winter, not more.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kawasakizx636
Finally was able to have a friend with a truck help me get the tires to the shop. Got em mounted and these tires are great. Much better than the MTR k's in the winter weather.

The guy filled the tires to 38 psi. Isn't that way too high? I thought you needed less psi in winter, not more.
When mine were installed Discount Tire inflated them to 35psi and it was bone rattling. I chalk tested my Duratrac 315/70/17s and I run them at 28psi. YMMV.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply, i had a feeling 38 was way too high. I was thinking to trying 32 psi, but reading that you go 28, i'm now thinking to go 30. I kinda don't wanna go below 30.

Anyone else have any input

Thanks
Old 12-12-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the Duratracs as well for winter, no studs. I can't say I would ever want to stud them, sipe yes but never stud. If there is tones of snow or ice, put on some chains. But for the amount of time I am on paved roads does not make up the benefit and annoyance of hearing them in my opinion. I would imagine you lose a bit of traction on pavement as well?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I run the Duratracs as well for winter, no studs. I can't say I would ever want to stud them, sipe yes but never stud. If there is tones of snow or ice, put on some chains. But for the amount of time I am on paved roads does not make up the benefit and annoyance of hearing them in my opinion. I would imagine you lose a bit of traction on pavement as well?
I lose traction with the mtr's. Very hard to stop. They also slide quite a bit when turning on back-roads. I haven't tested the duratrac's much yet since the weather was nice today and the roads were clean. These duratrac's seem to give my jeep a much smoother ride than the mtr's, but more rough when going over potholes. They seem to have more traction on the road, but i haven't really drove around much, so i can't really say too much. I was also running with 38psi tires, so airing down should increase the performance of these tires even more.

Quick Reply: Should i stud or not