Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should i stud or not

Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i stud or not

Hey guys, i placed an order on some duratrac tires and will have them on wednesday. I had plans to get them studded, but a friend of mine told me that his friend had his duratrac tires studded before and he was all over the road, he ended up buying another set and isn't studding them. What you guys think. Anyone here have any experience? Should i get them studded?

My summer tires are mtr k, but they're horrible on wet roads.

Hope to hear back from a few people, thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Wow, i thought for sure i'd get a cpl replies. Whenever i look up winter tires for jeeps, i always see people mentioning the duratrac tires.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure why u need studs. I live in the other Ontario where we get a lot of snow and have never come close to needing studs.

When i lived in the Northwest territories I had chains for my truck but even then rarely needed them.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If this is a dedicated winter set, why not go ahead and stud them. If you don't like the studs, go to town with a pair of pliers.

If they will be your year-round set, what are your laws up there? Can you run studded tires all year?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

I had duratracs on my old jk. Absolutely loved them in the winter. I was in 2wd most of the time. Never had an issue with them. I don't see the need for studs if you have 4wd. As long as your not trying to drive like a F1 car with snow and ice on the roads.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just tried out my Duratracs on the icy roads here in Fort Worth. It's so bad all 18 wheeler traffic has been stopped. They are stacked up all over the place!

The police are shutting down ALL of the freeways here so the sand trucks can try to make some progress and get the freeways moving again. People have been stuck in their cars for 24+ hours!

With all of this going on, my Duratracs handled all of these conditions in 4H with absolutely no problems!! I really wanted to go with 37s one day, but this makes me want to stuck with my 315 Duratracs forever!!!

They are amazing in the rain too!

Last edited by flomingo; 12-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, by the way, my Duratracs are not studded.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Kawasakizx636
Hey guys, i placed an order on some duratrac tires and will have them on wednesday. I had plans to get them studded, but a friend of mine told me that his friend had his duratrac tires studded before and he was all over the road, he ended up buying another set and isn't studding them. What you guys think. Anyone here have any experience? Should i get them studded?

My summer tires are mtr k, but they're horrible on wet roads.

Hope to hear back from a few people, thanks
Your regular tires are horrible on wet roads? Have you looked into driving responsibly taking into account road conditions?
Things might have changed since the old days but I'm pretty sure studs on public roadways have been banned around these parts since about 1973 due to excessive pavement wear.
The only times that they made sense to have them when driving decently was for those living on the prairies because the roads would have about 6 inches of snow/ice on them from about December till the end of March. Salting doesn't work below the temperatures you get out there all winter.
But what do I know...only been there/done that/bought the bumper sticker and that was the days before people had ever heard of radial ply tires. (Google 'bias ply tire' kids)

It aint a race out there. Slow down in bad conditions. Arrive alive by leaving earlier...or just explain why you're late
Old 12-08-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Your regular tires are horrible on wet roads? Have you looked into driving responsibly taking into account road conditions?
Things might have changed since the old days but I'm pretty sure studs on public roadways have been banned around these parts since about 1973 due to excessive pavement wear.
The only times that they made sense to have them when driving decently was for those living on the prairies because the roads would have about 6 inches of snow/ice on them from about December till the end of March. Salting doesn't work below the temperatures you get out there all winter.
But what do I know...only been there/done that/bought the bumper sticker and that was the days before people had ever heard of radial ply tires. (Google 'bias ply tire' kids)

It aint a race out there. Slow down in bad conditions. Arrive alive by leaving earlier...or just explain why you're late
Mostly agreed. Will say, certain tires SUCK in certain conditions. M/TRs pretty well suck in the wet stuff, be it rain, snow, or ice. REALLY bad on ice. Mostly, because the vast majority of MT/Rs on the market, or the popular ones, lack siping of any kind and have nice open tread patterns that somewhat reduce the number of biting surfaces. Then again, I spent most of the last three Fairbanks winters driving on SUMMER tires and did just fine. Just being a devil's advocate.

Gotta say, aside from this crazy mild winter this year, even the years where it was solid -30 and below the whole winter with several inches of ice on the roads, most people didn't have studded tires. Pretty much everyone had a nice set of winter tires, generally Blizzaks, but a nice WINTER tire in general. Highly siped, really really soft, and a fair amount with traction-increasing media on the tread material. Sure, there were some people with studded tires. There really weren't that popular due to the added cost of studding and the extra maintenance (replacing broken or worn studs--since so few people change their seasonal tires when they REALLY should). Plus, having driven with both plain winter tires and studden winter tires, I really couldn't tell all that much of a difference. The winter tires were already entire worlds better than the summer and all-terrains.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:37 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I ran studded hankook rw11's for one season but then bought my duratracs (not studded). Either tire got me out of tough situations effortlessly and handled well on snow and ice. Because my GY are used year round I didn't stud them but If I had dedicated winter tires again, I would stud just for piece of mind. I've never heard of someone being all over the road because of studs. Maybe he just drove recklessley because he thought he was capable. I'm not going to say it wasn't the tires fault but chances are it was the guy behind the wheel that was the problem.

Last edited by MFX; 12-08-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Should i stud or not