Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

should i replace drive shafts with a tf 2,5 coil lift?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
uge
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Ok, I'm confused now. A 4" lift won't have the caster just a bit too low?

Since the OP may not need driveshafts, CA's may not be needed for that. However, at 4 inches of lift, a set of front CA's may be a very good call for the low caster, correct?
sorry, iīm so newbie. What are "OP" and "CA"?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
A: Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle to sit in a way that your pinion shaft will be dipping ever so slightly towards the ground. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster and if you lift it and install larger tires, you will need to increase this amount to help compensate for the modifications. At 3"-4" of lift, I have found that +6°~8° of caster will do wonders to help improve the handling of your Jeep JK Wrangler.
Setting your caster is a personal preference/opinion, of course, but at 4 inches, I'd imagine you will find very few posts from people who are happy with the handling.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-05-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

uge- this is totally off topic but in the pics it looks as though your snorkel has the top part pointed the wrong direction?? Maybe its me but?? Isn't the open end on the top supposed to face forwards? JOE>
Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
uge- this is totally off topic but in the pics it looks as though your snorkel has the top part pointed the wrong direction?? Maybe its me but?? Isn't the open end on the top supposed to face forwards? JOE>
Looks like he was playing in some mud puddles. I've seen a lot of guys turn their ram air intake backwards when they know they are going to be splashing around.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the TF 2.5 lift on my X last week and found the steering to be flighty on narrow uneven roads. Uncomfortably so. Therefore I am expecting my new flexible lower front control arms today. I do have a winch and bumper combo up there that weigh's 190 lbs. too.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

That looks really high for a 2.5" lift, is that normal with the TF 2.5" coil kit? I didn't notice it as much before seeing this post. I understand that they do typically lift a little higher, but that just looks a lot higher.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo
I just installed the TF 2.5 lift on my X last week and found the steering to be flighty on narrow uneven roads. Uncomfortably so. Therefore I am expecting my new flexible lower front control arms today. I do have a winch and bumper combo up there that weigh's 190 lbs. too.
Did you loosen the control arms before you installed the kit? Then torqued everything down to spec with the JK on the ground?

Quick Reply: should i replace drive shafts with a tf 2,5 coil lift?