Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I regear or supercharge?

Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knightrohulk
SergeantChuck, if you had to do it over again, would you have gone gears first and waited to purchase the SC until later?

For those of you who have done both gears & SC (whether one was first or the other doesn't matter), I am very interested to understand why. And the reason for my confusion is that I have also been reading the various turbocharging threads and the Hemi threads. In those threads, those guys are actually recommending or considering to keep the 4.10 or 3.73 gears as a result of adding more power to the engine. Now, I know that is not exactly comparing apples to apples. However, in a simple generalization, if I add more power to the engine (in whatever way), then isn't there a point at which I don't need to regear because I have the power to move the Jeep?
In my honest opinion, re-gearing would still be necessary if one plans on going the SC route, regardless of the owners preference towards trying to either save money by buying gears they think they don't need, or thinking that the HP gains from just supercharging put them in the clear for torque they want.

I get your mindset of thinking to some point gears are not necessary for someone with the power to push whatever their driving, the fact is that you're not just dealing with one specific aspect of your jeep you're trying to go without. Gears are just one small(but essential) part in the axle and drive train. New gears lessen the stress of turning bigger tires, simply put.

But if one wanted to say lessen the increased ratio of new gears and still add a SC for more power gains, I could say that maybe the right size to go to would be around a 4.56 or 4.88. That way there'd be more torque from the straight engine, and it would leave room for a SC to push it even further. I say that size because IMO, it would be enough for the whole upgrade to run smoothly. Bigger gears lead to higher RPMs, and I'm only guessing since I don't have one(yet), but a supercharger might push an engine more towards red-lining if one had say 5.13-5.38...

Hope this was helpful, sorry for the long winded speech...

Last edited by Sommer13; 08-31-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 AM
JK Freak

On a second note, I would also suggest just buying and installing new driveshafts as well. Simply because they're part the issue with installing gears, and might as well do it all in one shot. Don't want to spend more money taking your jeep to the shop twice for the same installing fees(if you don't DIY and pay for it that is)...
Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 AM
JK Newbie

Buy a '12 or '13. You're going to blow $6K or $7k, may as well get the HP/torque bump and new interior. JMHO.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by knightrohulk
SergeantChuck, if you had to do it over again, would you have gone gears first and waited to purchase the SC until later?

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has an auto trans, SC, and stock 4.10 gears or even 3.73 gears. When you added the SC, did the auto trans still have to downshift as frequently?
That is a hard one to answer. I did not notice a huge change when I did the gears. I did notice a huge change with the supercharger. I love the supercharger. Makes a world of difference. But I will be honest. There was no local place to do my gears so that is why the supercharger was earlier.

As for your shifting down question. If you driver with overdrive OFF. If your running 35s you will hang around 2500rpms at 55mph. As you increase towards 60 you reach about 2800 rpms. Right after 60mph she will shift and drop back to 2500rpm. At 65mph I was normally around 2700rpm. The trick was to stay above 61mph. If you drop below that she would shift back down. Otherwise she will cruise no problem without shifting back and forth. This was my experience on a supercharged JK with 4.10 gears and 35" tires with overdrive off.

And to the comment about buying a 2012. I have both but enjoy my 07 supercharged more.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by leaf001
Buy a '12 or '13. You're going to blow $6K or $7k, may as well get the HP/torque bump and new interior. JMHO.
haha. traded my 09 2 dr manual for a 12 4 dr. autostick. love it!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Manuals are better... :P
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just bought some 5.13's. Hopefully this will be good for now, and I will supercharge later. Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Both lol .....
Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big c
Both lol .....
X2 on that
Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by big c
Both lol .....

It's only money!!!

Quick Reply: Should I regear or supercharge?