Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I regear or supercharge?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I regear or supercharge?

Wondering if I can get away with my stock gearing if I install the base model ripp supercharger. Have read up a lot but just looking for opinions.

Current Setup:
live at 5500ft elevation
2007 Sahara Unlimited Auto 4:10's
35" tires
Lot's of weight (bumpers, gobi rack, RTT, ect...)

Wanting my jeep to have better acceleration and be able to climb steep highway grades better at elevation. Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Regear first. Then supercharge also later.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Definitely re-gear first. Depending on what axles you have and whether or not you've upgraded anything like that, a supercharger would be worse for your gear ratio. You'd basically be forcing your jeep to do what it doesn't have power for without new gears.

Stock axles aren't strong enough to heavy a lot of extra torque and hp. Re-gearing would bring the ratio up to allow your engine to efficiently turn the bigger tires using the stock engine power.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sommer13
Definitely re-gear first. Depending on what axles you have and whether or not you've upgraded anything like that, a supercharger would be worse for your gear ratio. You'd basically be forcing your jeep to do what it doesn't have power for without new gears.

Stock axles aren't strong enough to heavy a lot of extra torque and hp. Re-gearing would bring the ratio up to allow your engine to efficiently turn the bigger tires using the stock engine power.
Well said.

RIPP
Old 08-30-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

I will jump in here only because I did the opposite of what everyone is telling you. I'm not saying it is the way to go. I'm just saying I installed the supercharger before the gears. I have a 2007 which had 4.10s

I installed the supercharger and ran with 4.10 gears for around 9 months. Not only was I running 4.10 gears but I had all the mods listed in my signature. Basically the Jk was heavy and had big tires.

I drove everywhere with my overdrive off. That did not bother me at all. The supercharger increased my HP so much that I was not in a hurry change my gears. I bought the gears the same time I bought the supercharger yet waited 9 months to install them. I was in no hurry because of the power increase.

When I finally changed my gears and I did not notice that much of a change. Not as much of a change as when I installed the supercharger.

Obviously the gear change will be cheaper.

For what it is worth.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Did the same as you Chuck - SC on 4.10 gears and haven't re-geared yet, although I eventually intend to do so. Having a manual, with the added HP of the SC, helps me to "get away" with not re-gearing immediately.

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
I will jump in here only because I did the opposite of what everyone is telling you. I'm not saying it is the way to go. I'm just saying I installed the supercharger before the gears. I have a 2007 which had 4.10s. I installed the supercharger and ran with 4.10 gears for around 9 months. Not only was I running 4.10 gears but I had all the mods listed in my signature. Basically the Jk was heavy and had big tires.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Gears first is never as sexy as a supercharger but if you go up in tire size you have to gear for it.

Last edited by btruby; 08-30-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by btruby
Gears first is never as sexy as a supercharger but if you go up in tire size you have to gear for it.
X2. Apples n oranges
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

SergeantChuck, if you had to do it over again, would you have gone gears first and waited to purchase the SC until later?

For those of you who have done both gears & SC (whether one was first or the other doesn't matter), I am very interested to understand why. And the reason for my confusion is that I have also been reading the various turbocharging threads and the Hemi threads. In those threads, those guys are actually recommending or considering to keep the 4.10 or 3.73 gears as a result of adding more power to the engine. Now, I know that is not exactly comparing apples to apples. However, in a simple generalization, if I add more power to the engine (in whatever way), then isn't there a point at which I don't need to regear because I have the power to move the Jeep?

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has an auto trans, SC, and stock 4.10 gears or even 3.73 gears. When you added the SC, did the auto trans still have to downshift as frequently?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sommer13
LOL. Putting in lower gears would actually put more stress on stock axle shafts, carrier, and u-joints. In either way, supercharger or gears, you'd be sending more torque down the line.

Quick Reply: Should I regear or supercharge?