Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I re-gear?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RodCyn
I just regeared to 5.13's, last week, from 4.10's. Sure, you can get by with the 4.10's, but there is a noticible difference with 5.13's on an automatic. I kick myself for not going higher sooner. Well worth the price.
Just picked up my Jeep tonight. (automatic - 5.13 - 35" toyo) It felt good to merge on the 405 without needing an airport runway to get up to speed.

I was a little surprised at the noise from the gears. Does anyone else notice a buzz or a little louder noise after the upgrade?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stendermac
I was a little surprised at the noise from the gears. Does anyone else notice a buzz or a little louder noise after the upgrade?
Mine was/is quiet.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up my Jeep tonight. (automatic - 5.13 - 35" toyo) It felt good to merge on the 405 without needing an airport runway to get up to speed.

My gears made a buzz for maybe 20 miles then it was quiet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
If you have a friend with a superchips flashpaq, try it on your rig. Some people say it works wonders. I don't know about support for the 2011.

I heard that regearing is the best "Wake up" call for a wrangler on 35s. Might want to check the chart here:

Nice Charts. So what is the "sweet" spot. I have a 2011 UJK Rubi 6-speed that is stock 4.10, and currently, based on the chart I am sitting in the middle of the Green. Where should one try to be?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Have only had 35s for a bit over 2 weeks and still have the stock 3.73 gears and an auto. I guess I'm crazy, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in performance with my heavy ass 35" Toyos. Highway driving is not drastically different as long as OD is off. Around town, it's slightly sluggish but not anything that really bothers me. MPG is 14-15...not much worse than what I was getting with my stock 32s. Haven't hit the trails hard yet, so maybe the need to regear will become more apparent.

Are there any mechanical problems that I will cause running 35s on stock gears?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
I guess I'm crazy, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in performance with my heavy ass 35" Toyos. Highway driving is not drastically different as long as OD is off...
If you turn off O/D then you don't have to watch your transmission shift from 3rd to O/D to 3rd all of the time on the freeway. For me it's a huge difference having to leave O/D off. It's like removing a gear from your transmission.

Gears will provide you more torque and HP at lower speeds, so you could break your axles/joints easier if you have a heavy foot when you are off-road and stuck.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bosox5
My gears made a buzz for maybe 20 miles then it was quiet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
wonder if thats what I am hearing... Its almost like a smooth metal on smooth metal sound. like a static radio station. It is annoying. Does that sound like the same sound you experienced?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Northridge installed mine, never heard a single sound/noise from them from mile one.

Make sure to break those suckers in.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have only had 35s for a bit over 2 weeks and still have the stock 3.73 gears and an auto. I guess I'm crazy, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in performance with my heavy ass 35" Toyos. Highway driving is not drastically different as long as OD is off. Around town, it's slightly sluggish but not anything that really bothers me. MPG is 14-15...not much worse than what I was getting with my stock 32s. Haven't hit the trails hard yet, so maybe the need to regear will become more apparent.

I ran my heavy coopers for 2 years on 3.73s, no problems aside from being a slug on the highway.

wonder if thats what I am hearing... Its almost like a smooth metal on smooth metal sound. like a static radio station. It is annoying. Does that sound like the same sound you experienced?

Sounds similar, but that noise wasn't for long. If you still hear it after break in, I would talk with your installer to check it out.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bosox5
I ran my heavy coopers for 2 years on 3.73s, no problems aside from being a slug on the highway.

Sounds similar, but that noise wasn't for long. If you still hear it after break in, I would talk with your installer to check it out.
thanks for the advice. I have probably only driven 20 miles since getting the work done. couple more short trips, then off for a long road trip this weekend.
Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply: Should I re-gear?