Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I re-gear?

Old 05-21-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Should I re-gear?

Finally got my 1st Jeep about 1 month ago. 4" lift, 18" wheels and 35" tires. Love Love Love it. Of course the gearing with the new tires make the motor doggy. I have heard both sides of the story for re-gearing.

Your thoughts?
1. will it improve gas mileage? ( not that it matters all that much )
2. Is it worth the $1000-$1500.
3. If you re-geared, what are your pros and cons?

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
What do you suggest for gears?
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think one part of that decision depends on whether or not you have the auto or manual. If you have the auto then regearing would probably help a lot, with the manual I haven't really felt the need, just have to get out of 6th on hills sooner to keep up the speed on the highway.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by genesbro
I think one part of that decision depends on whether or not you have the auto or manual. If you have the auto then regearing would probably help a lot, with the manual I haven't really felt the need, just have to get out of 6th on hills sooner to keep up the speed on the highway.
Great point genesbro.
I have an automatic.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

If you have a friend with a superchips flashpaq, try it on your rig. Some people say it works wonders. I don't know about support for the 2011.

I heard that regearing is the best "Wake up" call for a wrangler on 35s. Might want to check the chart here:

Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

stendermac, You don’t have to re-gear - plenty of people don’t.

Are you OK with the way it drives on and off-road? Is the power good enough for you?

I drove my automatic with 35s on my stock 4.10s for a while before I re-geared. I switched to 5.38s and for me it turned out to be one of my favorite mods - for me it was worth the money. I especially like the enhanced off-road capability, plus on the pavement it goes fine and holds itself on the freeway. I get about the same mileage over the stock gears with 35s. If I had to do it again I would do the exact same thing - except not wait to re-gear. Here's a thread I did on it: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-35s-and-5.38s.

Again, others seem to be OK with stock gears - it’s really up to you and how you drive.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!
I'm sold. It just feels sluggish. I am planning a trip to Yosemite and think getting the power back on the highway will be worth it.

Thanks for the chart Joe. The guys over at OC Motorsports suggest going with 5.13 for my automatic. Looks like it fits nicely with the chart.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

side note...
new to the forum. Can you see my profile picture?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stendermac
... The guys over at OC Motorsports suggest going with 5.13 for my automatic. Looks like it fits nicely with the chart.
Up until recently you couldn't get more that 5.13s on non-Rubicon's so 5.13s were certainly the popular way to go.

Originally Posted by stendermac
side note...
new to the forum. Can you see my profile picture?
Nope.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

No. I think you need a post count to be met before you can create an actual profile.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum and no I can't see your avatar

Quick Reply: Should I re-gear?