Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Should I let dealer install my lift?
Heck yeah, they can't blame you then.
13.00%
No way, do it yourself for the satisfaction and knowledge.
74.00%
Get and indy guy who knows what they're doing.
13.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Should I let my dealer install my lift?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

If you're going to be wheeling that Jeep, you want to know what's going on down below when you run into a problem out on the trail. The best way to start learning is to install the lift yourself. If you don't have the tools or doubt your ability, ask and I'd be very surprised if someone nearby doesn't chime in and say they will help you out.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Install the lift yourself you'll be glad to have gain the knowledge, experience and most of all the satisfaction...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm gonna be the odd man out (no surprises here) and say hell yeah. Let the dealer install it. That way, you'll be so deadgum butthurt over the labor charge (if you're lucky enough that they don't TOTALLY screw somethin up) that you'll never take a customer pay job to the dealer again. You gotta learn somehow. Experience seems to be the best teacher for some people.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

How big is your lift 2" BB or 4"?
2"BByou can do yourself with alittle time. 4"has more to it might alittle help.
Jeep dealers take of stock jeeps . You definitely install this yourself. Just Think, Take your time ,Plus you have alot of brothers and sisters out here to help.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

I'm sure you do, but just in case, you are aware that with a 4" lift (which will probably yield more) that you will need new driveshafts right? Just throwin that out there, and yeah, by all means, do it yourself, I'd be glad to help if u where in my area. Good luck and post pics when ur done!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Do the install yourself. Like others have said, its a great way to learn more about the suspension in your Jeep. For me it very satisfying to do my own work on the Jeep. I suggest reading the install write ups and going for it. If you are not comfortable taking the plunge and doing the work yourself, I suggest finding a local off road 4x4 Indy shop to do the work for you. Unlike the stealership, the bread and butter for these shops is modding off road vehicles. The Indys are more likely to be competent at doing mods on your Jeep.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do it yourself - especially if you have the lifetime warranty.

That way, when your transmission starts making some god awful noise you can go home, spend 3-4 hours removing the lift,put the stock tires back on, then take it into the dealership and KNOW that there will not be any warranty issues or crap to deal with. And no, I don't feel guilty doing this because I'm sure my 35" tires and lift put less additional strain on my engine / transmission than towing the 3,500 pounds the jeep is rated for.

I'd rather swap a lift than pay for a new motor or transmission.

Last edited by RedRock GatorRaider; 10-20-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone that you will learn a lot about your Jeep by installing it yourself and that knowledge can be invaluable on the trail and in building up your JK. If you are serious about building your JK this is the best route, but like everything there are Pro's and Cons:

If you let a dealer, he will become liable/responsible for anything that goes wrong with it and is less likely to push back on unrelated warranty service.

If you take it a quality experienced offroad shop, they typically specialize in installing a variety of lifts and will be able to provide expert advice in terms of limitations or additional modifications recommended for the kit you select. They should immediately spot interference, suspension, alignment or failed part problems.
Without some experience these problems may not be obvious to you.

The choice is yours.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Do it yourself. Save teh install $$. I installed mine on Sunday with Adj track bars, control arms and quick discos and it took about 10 hours goofing around all day. BTW this was the first time i had done anything on a car besides change the oil
Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Before I bought my jeep a few months back I hadn't done more than change the oil or add fluids to a car. I bought a lift, got a buddy, followed the instructions and its turned out great. The amount I learned about my jeeps suspension is well worth the experience. Good luck

Quick Reply: Should I let my dealer install my lift?