Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I get new shocks after 2" spacer body lift?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get new shocks after 2" spacer body lift?

Hey gang-

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this. I put a 2" lift on my jeep about 2 weeks ago. It was a body lift using poly spacers. I did not get new coils or new shocks. When I go over bumps, especially speed bumps it feels abrupt going over the back wheels (like it drops off quicker than it did before the lift. Is this just because I am now more top heavy than stock or is it because I new new shocks with 2 more inches of extension travel. I have torqued and retorqued everything associated with the lift. Thanks for any advice in advance. BTW, I have not put new tires on yet so I am still running the stock Bridgestones with no spacers. So maybe I am thinking that once I put get wider tires it may help a bit. I dunno. The kit was just spacer and bump stops. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you just installed a body lift, nothing on your suspension has changed and so you will not need new shocks.

having said that, are you sure you installed a body lift? did you install a bunch of pucks between your frame and tub or, did you just install spacers on top of your coils? because, if you installed bumpstop extensions, it sounds to me like you installed a coil spacer lift.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you put a Budget Boost on, not a body lift. The spacers went on top of your springs , right? If so, your stock shocks are too short and that's why your getting the ride your getting. Shock extensions are needed at the very least, or just get new and better shocks. I f you plan on wheeling your jeep alot , I'd go with new shocks.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arrr, I need to type faster, lol
Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Arrr, I need to type faster, lol
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you just installed a body lift, nothing on your suspension has changed and so you will not need new shocks.

having said that, are you sure you installed a body lift? did you install a bunch of pucks between your frame and tub or, did you just install spacers on top of your coils? because, if you installed bumpstop extensions, it sounds to me like you installed a coil spacer lift.
It was spacers on top of the coils with bumpstop extensions. Thanks. So I wonder what is making it so herky jerky back there. I especially notice it if I go over a speed bump. It is like this strange abrupt give that I get when the rear tires go over the bump. Almost like it is slipping. And my tires are not bald, there about half tread left. Maybe I am just imagining it. Maybe it was like that before and I just never noticed.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Sounds like you put a Budget Boost on, not a body lift. The spacers went on top of your springs , right? If so, your stock shocks are too short and that's why your getting the ride your getting. Shock extensions are needed at the very least, or just get new and better shocks. I f you plan on wheeling your jeep alot , I'd go with new shocks.
Yes you are correct it was a budget boost. Sorry. Thanks for your answer. I suspect the same thing. I haven't been offroad since the lift. But I bet your right. I bet new shocks will help. Thanks again for your advice MK!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
That is not a body lift, that is a coil spacer lift. (huge difference) If you did nothing with the shocks (like shock extensions) then you either need shock extensions or longer shocks. Extensions are cheap and use the factory shock. New shocks would be better of course. Either will "work"
Right on. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

put you some longer shocks on or the shock extender brackets then see how it rides...
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dex1
put you some longer shocks on or the shock extender brackets then see how it rides...
Thanks! I will.

Quick Reply: Should I get new shocks after 2" spacer body lift?