Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I flip? Getting ready to install new drag link and tie rod...

Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I flip? Getting ready to install new drag link and tie rod...

Hi all,

I've read the pro's and con's but I look to you for suggestions and a final say in this. Let me start off by telling you what I have suspension/steering wise:

'08 JK Unlimited X

* Teraflex 3" Springs
* 1/2" TF Spacers
* OME LT Shocks
* Fox SS
* Aftermarket Steering Stabilizer Clamp
* JKS Adjustable F & R Trackbar
* JKS Front Trackbar bracket welded on
* JKS Control Arms all around
* JKS Disco's
* Dropped Pitman Arm for 3 1/2" - 6"
* Dynatrac Ball Joints

And I just had delivered the following:

* A new Chromoly Tie Rod
* A new Front Lower Shock Bracket
* Rock Krawler Tapered Sleeve Drag Link Flip
* Rock Krawler Heavy-Duty Drag Link

Now, the real question is while my steering geometry is currently a mess, I can live with it. The bump steer doesn't push me or make me swerve, it's basically just annoying with the steering wheel bouncing all over. However in an effort to make this Jeep perfect both on and off road, should I use the flip or keep it in the stock position?

If I do flip it, I've read there may be clearance issues with less than a 4" lift aside from wheels which are M/T's with 4.5" BS is there anywhere else I should pay close attention to before I actually start drilling to flip?

Opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by NJKen; 02-25-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i think i'm a little confused - am i reading correctly that you currently have a dropped pitman arm but without a track bar relocation bracket? if so, yeah, you're steering geometry would be all off and adding a drag link flip would only aggrivate the problem. what you need to do is either remove your dropped pitman arm OR, install your new drag link flip WITH a track bar relocation bracket. you do not want to do one without the other.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i think i'm a little confused - am i reading correctly that you currently have a dropped pitman arm but without a track bar relocation bracket? if so, yeah, you're steering geometry would be all off and adding a drag link flip would only aggrivate the problem. what you need to do is either remove your dropped pitman arm OR, install your new drag link flip WITH a track bar relocation bracket. you do not want to do one without the other.
Oops I forgot to post it but I also have the JKS Track bar bracket welded on. However, I am currently running the trackbar in the bottom hole of that mount.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is there any advantage to not flipping the drag link with my current setup?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like all you need to do to correct your steering geometry with your existing setup is move the track bar to the top hole on your JKS bracket. This will now work with your longer drop pitman arm. If you do the flip kit, remove the long drop pitman and put back the stocker, and move the TB to the top hole on the JKS bracket.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

Well I was at it again yesterday I finally installed some of the goodies I had laying around. I installed Drag Link Flip, Drag Link, Tie Rod and took out my dropped pitman arm.

Needless to say I just want to make sure my angles all look good now. To me they do but I want some input.

Also, as you can see in the pictures... My axle is not centered in the wheel well and I need to address this immediately because not only is my shock rubbing on the passenger side but I noticed that the outer edge of my passenger side front tire is get chopped up from my bumper. It seems to only happen when I hit a bump making a sharp left turn. So since I have JKS upper and lower control arms, which one would I shorten?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Robar; 03-13-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Blacklisted manufacturer
Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

you may need to shorten both arms to bring the axle back and correct pinion angle. whats your caster angle now?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

aw man. something doesn't look right or add up.

your JKS sway bar links should be adjusted for more height?

see how many threads i have showing in my sway bar links below...

Also, if your axle is off centered. you need to center your axles by adjusting your adjustable track bar and not your CONTROL arms.

which i think waz, above, is hinting at, the front coils of your suspension seem to be bowing backwards which could be caused by a lack of caster. extend your caster till you have about 3/4" of threads showing...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
you may need to shorten both arms to bring the axle back and correct pinion angle. whats your caster angle now?
Don't know right now but I am getting new rims put on this week so I will get the printout of their angles and match it up with my angle finder to let you know how it stands.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
aw man. something doesn't look right or add up.

your JKS sway bar links should be adjusted for more height?

see how many threads i have showing in my sway bar links below...

Also, if your axle is off centered. you need to center your axles by adjusting your adjustable track bar and not your CONTROL arms.

which i think waz, above, is hinting at, the front coils of your suspension seem to be bowing backwards which could be caused by a lack of caster. extend your caster till you have about 3/4" of threads showing...
LoL I actually did fix them while I was under there. The pictures don't show it because I did them afterwards. Thanks though for confirming my thought that they were too short. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Should I flip? Getting ready to install new drag link and tie rod...