Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I consider AFE Axleback Exhaust after bad Magnaflow experience on last JK?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I consider AFE Axleback Exhaust after bad Magnaflow experience on last JK?

So a little background...I put a Magnaflow catback system with an AEM intake on my previous JKU. It was a complete waste of money, because it caused a loss of torque due to less backpressure. I think is was the one with 3" tubing, so that makes sense based on what I know now.

I swore I'd never put such a thing on my 2-dr. Rubi when I got it. Well now I'm considering an AFE Axleback (2.5" piping) for the Rubi, for two reasons: 1) to get rid of the big, ugly, low hanging stock muffler and 2) to gain ground clearance. I've crushed my tailpipe a couple of times, so I'm looking at the higher clearance AFE setup that has the tailpipe that drops down before the bumper where it won't get crushed. But I absolutely don't want a loss of torque since I tow an off-road trailer, and I don't want anything too noisy (the Magnaflow volume on the old JKU was fine).

If you're running the AFE Axleback setup, let me know your thoughts on how it affected torque and how loud the volume is compared to stock or a Magnaflow setup.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

had one On my 4door. In the end i had to modify it due to excessive noise. Also didnt like the routing too much. The muffler was hanging bit low off the belly for my taste...
Old 04-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, we're bummed to hear that you had a bad experience. Most of our JK systems are 2.5" diameter piping. We dyno test every system we build to specifically avoid having our products lose power. What other mods did you have? Also, do you remember the part number of the system you had? We just want to get to the bottom of things so others don't the same experience you did. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my research I think I read that the afe scored 8 out of 10 for loudness. May be too much for you.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cutman
In my research I think I read that the afe scored 8 out of 10 for loudness. May be too much for you.
That's quite surprise

The axle back and the cat back are totally different

I have the afe hi tuck axle back, and it is VERY quiet. Maybe a little lower than stock. Sometimes I don't even notice it
Old 04-03-2015, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tlminh
That's quite surprise

The axle back and the cat back are totally different

I have the afe hi tuck axle back, and it is VERY quiet. Maybe a little lower than stock. Sometimes I don't even notice it
Depends which engine are we talking about. 3.8 = no issues whatsoever (just one muffler suffices for decent sounding exhaust). 3.6 on the other hand is quite a different beast (with just one muffler the noise will be obnoxious/at least if you are more than 18yo...)

Quick Reply: Should I consider AFE Axleback Exhaust after bad Magnaflow experience on last JK?