Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should i be concerned with snow coming? exposed e-disco

Old 10-21-2015, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow coming? exposed e-disco. Home-made skidplate

I recently put a eauto r3 bumper on my '15 rubicon and now i'm concerned over how exposed the e-disco is. Is this something to be worried about? we got absolutely hammered with snow last year and I didn't really care because I only had the willys wheeler then. I can't find anywhere a skidplate that is confirmed to be compatible. I made my own template for my own skid plate, might just end up going this route. Thanks in advance.

pic for reference

Last edited by d. gage; 12-21-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my Jeep like a way heavy snowmobile in drifted fields to get to hunting spots. Have been doing that for 8 years and the e-disco still works. It is no less exposed than what I see in your picture. I would not worry about snow damaging it unless of course it is 2 feet of hard packed stuff. In that case you will probably get stuck first.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-21-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what seems to make them go bad is water gets inside the controller and fry's the circuit board. Really noting you can do about it.

It WILL go bad someday just replace it with a mechanical disconnect and be done with it.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yankee
I use my Jeep like a way heavy snowmobile in drifted fields to get to hunting spots. Have been doing that for 8 years and the e-disco still works. It is no less exposed than what I see in your picture. I would not worry about snow damaging it unless of course it is 2 feet of hard packed stuff. In that case you will probably get stuck first.

Perfect! thank you
Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhxSilver
what seems to make them go bad is water gets inside the controller and fry's the circuit board. Really noting you can do about it.

It WILL go bad someday just replace it with a mechanical disconnect and be done with it.

Something to look forward to i guess hahaha
Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d. gage
Something to look forward to i guess hahaha

Its a JEEP, get used to it
Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

yup... not a matter of if it'll go bad... when.

The thing to be aware of is that when it goes bad, the symptoms will be crazy as it seems to do strange stuff to the TIPM.

EVO No Limits will remedy it.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

These have been failing since day one and I'm amazed Jeep hasn't fixed the issues. I replaced mine with a dual rate and child off the electro fail before it died.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

After searching high and low I decided to build my own.

Stealing my kids school papers for design work ��

figuring out all of my mounting specs, shape, degree of bends etc.

all bent up and cuts done, time for smoothing edges and mounting holes/locations

first time mock up, everything lines up perfect but I wasn't happy with some of the cross member being exposed. Roughly 4". Time to improvise.

Then decided to add a more personalized touch.

Once I made the side extensions, I realized that if I welded them on I would never be able to get to my mounting points that are on the bumper...time to improvise again, make it modular.

Everything fit perfect and was ready to be sent out to be bullitlined to match my front and rear bumpers. Some grade 8 hardware and we are all done.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

nice--that looks really cool

Quick Reply: Should i be concerned with snow coming? exposed e-disco