Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I carry a spare tire?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4fox
Who has actually used their spare?

Not on the trail, but on a normal paved road.
I do a 5 tire rotation every 5k miles so the spare is worn with the rest of the tires.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say always carry a spare,
Three weeks after buying my 33's I ran over a BUNCH of 6" nails tied together with wire taking a short cut over the desert to my house. Short cut was on the sand next to a construction site and was probably used by a builder to keep them together and then either fell out the lads pocket or thrown away. Tdecristofaro_7907, I feel your pain!
Tire was gone completely as they had punctured and ripped the sidewall somehow and luckily was right next to the house so drove in, ran inside for the jack and got the stand underneath her diving superman style before she went completely flat, probably 5 minutes from spiked to flat. Was very lucky she didnt go down onto the rim. Can't get a replacement 33 Mickey Thompson right now so been using a normal spare in case anything like that happens again.
Anything can happen and sod's law the day you take off the spare for weight or rocking is the day it goes flat!
Anyway, turned the tire into a wee chair for outside to match my old Merc rim bar stools so was not a complete loss, and just waiting for the cash to come in to upgrade to 35's. Every cloud...

Quick Reply: Should I carry a spare tire?