Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I carry a spare tire?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to run a slightly smaller spare to save some weight and $$.. but I am going to be running a large tire 40".. On my last Jeep I ran 38's with a 37" spare, I figure it is close enough in size to get me off of the trail and back home..
Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies to my post. I kinda figured that I would get these responses.I wondered why I had seen so many rigs on the trail that dont run a spare?? After seeing a couple videos where jeeps had rolled over backwards while crawling some steep hills, I kinda started to wonder. That and the fact that I am just about to upgrae my tires. Would be nice not to have to worry about buying a new bumper with spare tire carrier. They aint cheap.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know a few people who don't carry a spare tire around town because they are still using the oem tire carrier and are trying not to bend the tailgate or break the tire carrier due to hitting pot holes and such driving around town. Because if you do get a flat around town you can all ways find a tire shop close by or get a tow to a tire shop if you need to. Also if you have an auto club like AAA they will cover the cost of the the tow to the tire shop. However all the ones I know do carry the spare when they head off road.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock tailgate welds cannot handle the weight of a 35" spare, so many run without a spare until they can afford an aftermarket bumper with carrier.

As said before, having a plug kit and air compressor is NOT a replacement for a spare tire. Have you ever plugged a tire ? It's a battle !! Add to that crappy weather, slippery surface, tiredness, etc, and you'll wish you had a spare to throw on and drive away.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Oh yeah...always carry one.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scemracing
I don't carry a spare around town but on road trip and wheeling I always take my spare. You never know when you tire will get gashed in the side and not be repairable that is less likely to happen around town.
x2- i toss my spare in the rear and strap her down when i wheel. on the road i just carry a tire plug kit.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

If you wanna get home after a flat
Old 05-20-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say carry it just incase you blow a tire I even have an extra tire sitting in my garage because I nobody carries my tired here
Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmcan
Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it,...
Amen to that!
Don't you think the world-wide automobile industry would have done away with a spare if it was not needed on pavement??? They tried all kind of stuff, but it's still OEM issue!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know of a rear tire carrier that you can attach to the body so you can convert the tailgate to drop-down style? Like a pick-up bed... I really wanna keep my aftermarket bumper and don't really want to spend the money on upgrading it. I'd thought about running with no spare as well and decided against it.

Quick Reply: Should I carry a spare tire?